History of Chinese food (or lack thereof) on the Westside

Hah, I would certainly not go out of my way to drop by. In fact, Borrego De Oro was next door and I almost went there instead.

Lol

At that point just drive north on Atlantic or Garfield.
I too thought that was odd that Eater mentioned some random takeout spot in Boyle Heights as being newsworthy. Unless I am missing something here and they are doing a speciality/region thatā€™s on a secret menuā€¦

That was part of why I was curious! Iā€™ve wondered for a while how they generate that weekly new restaurant list, especially when openings are a little thin on the ground right now. If it were my lazy ass Iā€™d just filter Yelp for newly opened restaurants which definitely turns up places like Jin Dragon.

What gets me is if some of these takeout spots would offer a dish or two from their hometown or a family recipeā€¦they would get more business from food nerds like us. I donā€™t know for a fact but I know they ainā€™t eating their food from those steam tables. You already got a license to sell food, sell me some dishes from your family.

1 Like

thatā€™s what i was hoping when i saw the shui jian bao pic. i suppose any place opening during this pandemic deserves a little attention. but no love for baja cali fish & taco which is opening TWO new branches (east pasadena & monrovia)? theyā€™ve been open what three years total now? thatā€™s serious expansion. but if you make a great fish taco for only $.99 on tuesdays, people will come. sadly, i have yet to try anything else on their menu.

Itā€™s probably worth asking or mentioning to places to offer that option. Years ago before people were more accepting, that was one of the few ways to try a dish that wasnā€™t mainstream american at an ethnic place. If you werenā€™t of that ethnicity, the only offerings were the basic Americanized versions. It would take a lot of asking and convincing.

back in the day, a lot of places would make steamed minced pork but it was never on the menu. one such place was this little toisan place on valley & third called wing hing deli with two sisters that looked like my mom. it took about 25 minutes but it was worth the wait. however, the best version iā€™ve had in LA was at the recently closed embassy kitchen. i honestly donā€™t know of any place where i can order one now. i find them emotionally satisfying.

1 Like

Right before the pandemic I learned that the owner/chef at Embassy Kitchen was in charge of the dinner menu at Ocean Bo in El Monte. Even went to Ocean Bo at lunch time and checked out the dinner menu which indeed had some Embassy items. However, I never went out to dinner again, and have no idea if that collaboration survived. Since youā€™re on that side of town perhaps you can check it out.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s kind of how we feel about Jasmine Houseā€™s to-go counter. Weā€™ll usually do a duck combo or something but sometimes itā€™s just easy to do the three item plate alongside.

We literally just made this! Now that I think of it, weā€™ve only had it at home. I donā€™t know that Iā€™ve ever seen it on a menu.

Found a typical steam table take out spot here in PA. Ran by a nice Fujian family from NYC. Was able to get tomato and egg and homemade fish balls made by Auntie.

4 Likes

This was a regular dish for us growing up. Something a busy mom could make easily and satisfies everyone. Iā€™m trying to remember if we ever ordered it out. Iā€™m sure we have, but it was definitely more of a home dish. Even now, I make it once in a while for us. Some stir fried green beans and a pot of rice. A simple quick hearty meal.

thereā€™s something in the texture (when made properly) that has a strong appeal for me. however, i was not so enthusiastic about it when made with salted fish or a salted egg - that ruined the texture for me. i preferred it steamed with lop cheung.

we should probably create a separate thread for chinese comfort meals, in which case iā€™d also include claypot rice dishes. or any sort of chicken dark meat cooked with shiitakes & oyster sauce (a little miso works well also)

Iā€™ve been trying to remember the name of the old Chinese (Cantonese) restaurant that was on Pico Blvd. just East of Overland on the North side of the street. My wife thinks it was Wan Q but wasnā€™t Wan Q near Robertson? Same time frame though.

Nothing I know of fits that description going back to the 70s. Wan-Q was near Robertson. Song Hee was just west of Westwood Bl., and Hoi Ping just east of Beverly Dr.

Thanks. We went to Wan Q a lot so we could just be ā€˜mis-rememberingā€™.

:+1:t4:

1 Like

Do it!

1 Like

Thread created

3 Likes

Googling has revealed Twin Dragon at Pico and Holt, but thatā€™s even farther East. :thinking:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the story of Huā€™s Szechwan on National (Palms)? Its facade looks positively antediluvian.

1 Like