Holbox by Chichen Itza

I don’t see it on the menu. Better to call in an order than do it online?

i ordered it when i got there, i think it’s a seasonal item so its not on the online menu. the menu is slightly different there than online

1 Like

Did some takeout from Holbox to celebrate.

Ceviche del Dia de Pescado

Simple and fresh.

Taco de Pulpo en su Tinta & Taco de Pescado al Carbon

Both of these were bangers–expertly cooked with fantastic flavors. If pressed, I’d give the edge to the octopus, but I’d definitely order both again.

Special shout out to the double order or chips they tossed in.

11 Likes

Holbox’s ceviche always looks dry as fuk. I am sure some people prefer that

3 Likes

The bowl was a bit deep–but yes I would have liked more marinade. It could have used some more punchiness.

1 Like

needed to get my seafood fix in with providence on hiatus. if chef michael cimarusti is the seafood whisperer, chef gilberto cetina is the mariscos whisperer. come to think of it, has anybody ever seen them in the same room together? i don’t think so.

shout out to the patio with plenty of socially distanced tables.

resemblance?

fat bastards, wa

taco de pescado al carbone - hawaiian kanpachi, homemade mayo, cabbage, morita sauce, mayo, pico de gallo, avocado puree

taco de scallop - maine diver scallop, chile x’catic sauce, caramelized onions, marinated fennel

baja shrimp taco - battered & fried wild gulf shrimp, cabbage, crema, mayo, salsa roja, pico de gallo

baja fish taco - battered and fried wild rock fish, cabbage, crema, mayo, salsa roja, pico de gallo

sopa de mariscos - kanpachi, salt spring mussels, wild mexican shrimp, homemade fish sausage, grilled bread

this had plump salt spring mussels @TheCookie, snappy fish sausage, sweet shrimp, crispy skinned kanpachi and a bit of heat. delicious. loved the kanpachi sausage thanks @Hungrydrunk.

@hungryhungryhippos

21 Likes

Come on! I cannot not eat that stew! Translation: I must eat it. :blush: Not that it needs it at all, but any word about the Uni?

2 Likes

Haha… I wouldn’t exactly put it that way, but I think the Aguachile is better. :wink:

Damn sausage shot!

2 Likes

This follows my unscientific yet personally substantiated theory that orange foods tend to be very fuckin tasty.

5 Likes

haven’t seen uni stew since I first had it :sob:

1 Like

PSA for Holbox fans. Chef Cetina is trying to raise money to publish a book of the recipes you love.

7 Likes

Is the cold case & lobster tank new? Don’t remember them.

Kanpachi Ceviche & Uni Tostada - Omega Blue Baja Kanpachi, Santa Barbara Uni, Onion, Cilantro, Pico de Gallo, Arbol-Guajillo Salsa, Avocado Purée

Strange but I don’t think I’ve had this before. If so, I don’t recall it being this good. :heart_eyes: Loved it. So much better than the Ceviche Mixto w/side of Tostadas… I don’t know why but it is. It’s my favorite ceviche on the menu right now!

Baja Shrimp Taco - Wild Mexican Blue Shrimp, Tomato, Cabbage, Crema, Homemade Mayo, Salsa Roja, Pico de Gallo, Handmade Organic Tortilla

I didn’t try it but what could go wrong. :blush:

Sopa de Mariscos (Seafood Stew) - Local Rock Fish, Salt Spring Mussels, Wild Mexican Shrimp, Homemade Fish Sausage, Grilled Bread

A photo seconds before the wind blew my mask into the stew! But I finally had it @PorkyBelly! :blush: No Uni broth but I honestly can’t see it getting better than this. Good Lordy - piping hot, rich seafood & vegetable based stock, perfectly cooked seafood, fish sausage, spicy kick, the bread! :heart_eyes:

Let the sopping begin

Sparkling Lemonade

Our first time back at Holbox since the FTC Holbox meetup kerfuffle that ended up sending us to Sergio and his backyard 106 Underground Seafood. Awesome! But I did eventually connect with Chef Cetina a while later - won’t get into the details except to say email is not the best way to communicate with the new gen chefs (even if their web instructs you to). They live on social media now. All is good. The food was fantastic! The freshness, careful sourcing, creativity. I could eat like this everyday. :hearts::blush::hearts:

Happy… oh just Happy!

19 Likes

hi @TheCookie,

so good right? :heart::blush::heart:

did we just miss each other? I was there the other day too. fantastic and delicious as always.

baja fish taco - crispy battered local rockfish, crema, mayo, salsa roja, pico de gallo

taco de scallop - maine diver scallop, caramelized onions, marinated fennel, chile x’catic sauce

both tacos were delicious, the fish taco was my favorite

scallop aquachile - baja bay scallops, lime-serrano-cilantro marinade, avocado
a bit too tart eaten alone but perfect with some tortillas.

sopa de mariscos - local rock fish, salt spring mussels, wild mexican shrimp, homemade fish sausage, grilled bread
once again every damn piece of seafood is perfectly cooked, crispy skin, plump juicy mussels, snappy shrimp and sausage and the buttered grilled bread to sop it all up.

17 Likes

I had the stew based on recommendations in this thread a few weeks back. And damn, it was amazing. Went in with high expectations and it was just as good as everyone says. It is now a must-order for me when I visit. A couple raw bar / ceviche items, a couple tacos (octopus is a must for us), and this stew to finish things off. This restaurant is such a treasure.

Happy you have let them back into your heart (and belly!), @TheCookie.

7 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly!

So good. :hearts::blush::hearts: Oooh tacos de scallop! :yum:

I couldn’t quit them @Starchtrade! :blush:

4 Likes

That is truly making me laugh and miss you.
Sope de máscara de la galleta!
XXOO

3 Likes

Sopa de mascara - como Lucho Libre …
Sopa de mascarilla - muy común en el hospital …

3 Likes

Haha :relaxed: I thought about you too while doing the report. It seems like ages ago. I miss you guys!

I’ll bet. :laughing: