Holbox by Chichen Itza

it’s a great delivery vehicle for their delicious hot sauces.

1 Like

where exactly are these hot sauces? they just come with some of the items or you have to specifically ask for them? and which would you recommend?

I think it used to be a special but now maybe it’s permanent

1 Like

Live Santa Barbara uni and scallop ceviche is amazing if they have it. Also add live spot prawns to the scallop aquachile. Love the crispy shrimp head in that sauce. Sometimes they don’t have all the items listed, so just ask if available. I have gone many times where the shrimp torta was not listed on the menu and they will still make if they can.

3 Likes

Lawdy how I wish Chef Cetina would just bite the bullet and start offering an omakase option at Holbox. #ShrimpHeadsTastingMenu

5 Likes

Talked to chef Cetina yesterday—while didn’t ask that question, we did talk about his sourcing surf clams, chocolatas, and shrimp etc. when lo and behold, Steve from Transpant sea shrimp a new shrimp farm right in Downey stopped by. It was fun chat and so I ordered th aguachile with the transparent sea shrimp (they were out of a lot items by 2pm)

You’re seeing his products more and more around town at yang’s kitchen, kali, anajak, ruam mitr, birdie g’s to name a few. The texture was so snappy, loved it. And the fried shrimp head :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

11 Likes

I believe he will do omakase if you call ahead so that he can precure or save something special for you. He did so once for our anniversary dinner. Great experience.

14 Likes

Talk about pro tip!

3 Likes

Gamechanging wisdom!

2 Likes

whoa.

is this different from the tasting menu they were doing prepandemic?

Ah! I believe it is the same! We went right before the pandemic and sat at the bar. This was the menu.

7 Likes

how much $?

I believe it was $75 like the website says. It maybe more when it comes back…. Here’s a shot of all we had. We totally felt it was worth it. It was nearly on par with a providence tasting menu we had that was way more.

20 Likes

Nice @Dommy! Holbox is a total gem! :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Great pro-tips everyone!

I didn’t know you can buy the salsas!

5 Likes

I think they only sell the habanero hot sauce they serve at Chichen Itza and the Kut salsa. I wish he would bottle the morita as well, then I would be in salsa heaven.

Yin-Yang Holbox edition

10 Likes

Went back:

Scallop Aguachile. Perfection. absolutely no flaws in this dish other than more scallops would have been nice.

Mixto. I didn’t like this at all. Maybe I was eating/drinking it wrong, but I don’t understand how someone is supposed to finish that entire glass. A bizarre mix of tomato juice and orange juice that did not work whatsoever for me.

Uni tostada. I didn’t love this surprisingly. It was a bit too acidic for me and clashed eating alongside the Agauchile. Was also a bit difficult to eat but a very pretty dish.

Smoked kanpachi taco. MY GOD. This was amazing. Such smokiness and flavor with this, I was blown away by how good it was. This is a must get.

Fried Fish taco. Said it in my past review, but easily the best fish taco I’ve ever had in my life as someone who is not a fan of fish tacos and finds them too dry usually and lacking flavor. This is spot on.

Seafood stew. Sooo good. That broth is outstanding as mentioned before and a phenomenal use of bread to sop out all of the goodness. The fish is cooked to perfection and it’s a must get here. The usage of bread alone by itself is enough to have it surpass many of the standalone dishes at other esteemed restaurants. I would order that bread and broth on it’s own for $8 and it’d be worth it.

Not sure what else there is to try, but this is easily the 2nd best seafood in LA. The seafood tastes so fresh and delightful it’s a hidden gem.

5 Likes

That kut is so good with steak & eggs!

4 Likes

Not so sure about that.