Home Cooking 2022

That may be what I’ve used.

1 Like

Roasted a chicken. Just dry-brined overnight and roasted along with potatoes and onions seasoned with salt, pepper, and za’atar. Arugula with parm and some leftover Caesar-ish dressing that I made the other day.

18 Likes

Have you ever done the Zuni chicken? I have a small one - preferred - and will start dry brining tomorrow.

3 Likes

I keep meaning to and forgetting about it! I might just make the bread salad one of these days. I know NYT Cooking has the recipe for it.

Here ya go:

2 Likes

Simple breakfast.

King oyster mushrooms seared in thyme-brown butter and very crispy eggs fried in the same butter.

13 Likes

Drool!

1 Like

The salad was tasty but I think it could be better
Romaine
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Pepitas
Avocado
Red onion
Scallions
Corn
Pepper Jack cheese
Radishes
Black beans
Lime cilantro red wine garlic cumin oil dressing

Next time I would add thin crunchy tortilla strips, roast the corn and add something a little spicy maybe roasted poblano or roasted jalapeño.

10 Likes

Did you use fresh or frozen corn? I’ve seen frozen white corn at TJs but haven’t bought it.

Fresh at Whole Foods and obviously not as good as summer corn. I’m going to wait until the summer to make this salad again when many of the ingredients are in season.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve done a couple of summers. At the end of the season or sooner I buy a bunch of corn (white only). I cut it off the cob, freeze on a baking sheet and then portion into plastic wrap and then zipping bags. In the middle of winter, it’s such a treat.

5 Likes

Minced serrano in your dressing would probably do the trick better than the jalapeño. It’s got a little more bite and kick to it.

2 Likes

Good idea. Jalapenos have not been spicy for like a decade. I think we had another thread on how tame jalapenos are lately.

1 Like

I do the same. It freezes surprisingly well… even better than ‘frozen corn’. That being said, off season is just for corn kernels. Then I can dress them a bit to help amp up the flavor (I love Penzey’s Pico seasoning for this) or they are just added to dishes like Ramen and soups. On season is the only time we do full on corn on the cob.

3 Likes

There are still old-school spicy non-hybrid jalapeños around but you can’t tell which are which in the store. Or even trust that a particular store will consistently stock one or the other.

Ribeye topped with Lao Gan Ma, bok choy sautéed with just salt + white pepper, minced garlic, chili flakes, & some msg, and rice.

18 Likes

that looks really good!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

That looks insanely wonderful.

1 Like

I made some focaccia for turkey sandwiches later today. A little too much dough for the pan but I eyeballed it last night so whatever I guess.

100% KA bread flour
6% whole wheat flour
82% hydration
2.2% salt

4 hour bulk and 12 hour retard and 3 hour bench before baking at 475F

11 Likes