Home Cooking 2022

Isn’t that pasta cacio e uova - one of the foundational pasta dishes from Naples ?

Maybe? Honestly, you mentioning it is the first time I’ve ever heard of it. If so, I guess I’m not so safe from the “YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG!” crowd, but I’m willing to take the hit.

1 Like

I just mentioned it without watching the video or knowing the person but if it is indeed a known pasta dish they present/“invent” they should make the origins very clear.

Carla doesn’t ever mention it in the video, which is odd seeing as how she’s not exactly a newbie who wouldn’t have known about this (as opposed to me, some midwestern schmuck watching youtube). I even checked the comments of the video and no one has called her out on it.

Curious…

Also, fun fact: her father-in-law is Lorenzo Music, i.e. Carlton, Your Doorman, voice of Garfield, etc.

The brown butter looks amazing!

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

I use M. Hazan’s carbonara recipe:

But I use bacon cause I always have it, a couple of whole garlic cloves in the oil, I usually just use Parm because again I always have it on hand. And frequently arugula for the same reason. It’s one of our faves especially cause we can have it pretty much any time.

LOVE it!

1 Like

I never heard of that either.

A quick google confirms it is, indeed, a thing, and it seems just as described: meatless carbonara / Alfredo + eggs. One recipe even says mixing parm and pecorino AND adding garlic to the oil, so apparently you can just go crazy pants with it all. Heh.

2 Likes

Exactamundo! And I won’t even discuss her Bolognese!!!

Real pasta alla carbonara is made with guanciale, eggs, and Pecorino Romano (“cacio”). Americans can make pasta with pancetta, cream, butter, wine, mushrooms, peas, onion, and/or nutritional yeast and call it carbonara. For dessert, why not chill a layer cake in the refrigerator and call it semifreddo?

There’s ITALIAN Bolognese, which is a meat gravy with maybe a little tomato paste, and Italian-American Bolognese, which is a tomato sauce with meat.

Both are good.

I’ve gone to the trouble to get guanciale to make ‘real’ carbonara. Totally worth it.

But this daddy pasta or caccio e uova or whatever you call it is delicious and I’m probably gonna make it tomorrow night just cuz it’s in my head again. And I still have more good parm to use up.

How would you describe this?

I make a 4x or 5x recipe at one time and it pretty much takes all day. But IMneverHO it is IT!

In Bologna they call that ragù. Italians in other regions might say ragù alla bolognese.

For us it would be too much tomato added - we like more a “classical” approach with very little to no tomatoes. The Spendid Table cookbook has a nice chapter about the evolution of ragu Bolognese in Emilia-Romagna with recipes we prefer over the one from Hazan

Bolognesi can argue about ragù no end. It’s one of those dishes where every family has its own recipe…Calling any particular one “authentic” is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Totally agree. But ten years ago when one of our daughters had her first child I asked what food-wise I could bring her. She said and I quote “well, I wouldn’t say no to some B-sauce.” :slight_smile: Filled her freezer with two cup portions. Cook some pasta and make a salad and they could even entertain. :slight_smile: