Home Cooking 2022

Thanks!

batch cooking is so weird

3 Likes

Whenever I see cooking-show competitions, I’m always struck by how cooking for a crowd is SOOOO different (logistically) than cooking for your family.

Hope the party goes well and that the food is a hit!

Chicken Zucchini Patties

First attempt

Leftover Chicken Meatball Mix, Shredded Zucchini (salted & strained)

The grated zucchini is unexpectedly fragrant.

It’s a pretty wet mixture so I cooked them in the cast iron on med-high (in olive oil) to achieve crispiness, but it was a little high and they got a little scorched. :smirk:

They still made some tasty Chicken Zucchini Pita Pockets with leftover Pita, Tahini, Hummus & Jerusalem Salad from Mizlala on W Adams.

Second Attempt

Pretty much the same recipe as the first batch but w/both Green & Yellow Squash (salted & strained).

This time fried on medium heat. Success! :hearts:

Served with Pita, Homemade Tahini Sauce & Salad w/Corn, Avocado, Rancho Gordo Midnight Black Beans, Cherry & Sungold Tomatoes, Leftover Jerusalem Salad (again from Mizlala), Homegrown Serrano Peppers, Cilantro, Olive Oil, Lime, Rancho Gordo Stardust Seasoning (like a slightly sweeter Tajin). Hubs loves the patties @Dommy! Thanks for adding a new summer dish to my repertoire!

9 Likes

Chicken Piccata w/Tomatoes + Smashed Potatoes

I normally don’t do all this frying in the summer, but after 90+ degree temps the low 80s felt like winter, so.

Jidori Chicken Breasts, Pounded, Seasoned, Floured, Egged, Breaded, Fried.

Sauce is a traditional Piccata Sauce w/Caramelized Shallots, Heirloom Garlic, Capers, White Wine, Stock, Butter, S&P, Lemon, Parsley. I had Sweet Cherry Tomatoes so in the sauce they went!

Is it okay to call your own dish incredible? The flavors came together so deliciously and the super sweet late summer tomatoes sautĂ©ed in the piccata sauce were the perfect foil for the buttery lemony sauce. I’m craving my own dish. :yum: After all the steps and the frying I smashed instead of mashed the taters because 80 degrees.

Pop Quiz: ten points if you can guess which two dishes from a new dramedy series inspired this dish.

Happy Cooking!

9 Likes

Could it be? Lol!

1 Like

Haha yes! “Mom’s Chicken”. That was really cute. Although, I’m glad my reference was the actual show, lol. And I did my own cutlet recipe. :smile: But seriously, it’s a good sauce and less lemony than my go-to which involves the squeezed lemon halves sitting in the sauce while it reduces. This one is a little more savory.

Okay! So that’s 5 points. Now, the tricky one. Which totally different dish on a totally different episode inspired the addition of the cherry tomatoes?

1 Like

episode 8: sydney’s chilean sea bass with tomato confit?

2 Likes

Inspector @PorkyBelly on the case! Throwing the cherry tomatoes in was very loosely inspired by Sydney’s dish. :grin:

1 Like

fun fact, the cast of the bear was eating at bianco the other night.

3 Likes

Oh sweet. I’m glad y’all talked me into watching the show. It’s really fun.

1 Like

Anybody know what Doctor Tillitsuits seasoning sauce is or was? Google finds recipes that call for it but not the thing itself. Something like Worcestershire sauce?

“spicing for beverages” whatever that means - DOCTOR TILLIT SUITS LLC Trademarks (1) from Trademarkia - page 1

WOW! Those second ones look great!! I’ve never done them with yellow squash! Will have to try next time!!

1 Like

Yeah, I found the trademark page. I think the company must be out of business.

Good job. :drooling_face:

My attempt at a nicoise salad except I didn’t have olives or green beans. If @TheCookie can add tomatoes to a piccata sauce I can add cucumbers, avocado and tomatoes to a nicoise salad. The Tonnino chunk tuna was delicious. Thanks to whoever mentioned this. It was on sale at WF and well worth the couple extra bucks. Of course I was boiling my eggs during a Zoom call and as my timer was about to go off somebody asks me a question. My eggs were hammered.

5 Likes

Salade Niçoise must have tomatoes. Traditionally it includes no cooked vegetables. Olives are a relatively modern addition.

Jacques Medecin, the disgraced former mayor of Nice who wrote the definitive cookbook on Niçoise cuisine, said: “At its most basic – and genuine – it is made predominately of tomatoes, consists exclusively of raw ingredients (apart from hard-boiled eggs), and has no vinaigrette dressing: the tomatoes are salted three times and moistened with olive oil. However, nowadays even the Niçois often combine anchovies and tunny fish in the same salad, though traditionally this was never done – tunny used to be very expensive and was reserved for special occasions, so the cheaper anchovies filled the bill.”

1 Like

No rules!

3 Likes

Yeah, no rules is pretty much the modern way of salade Niçoise. I’m not sure if there’s one single definitive ingredient someone hasn’t left out. Certainly few modern people would order it and expect to be served salted tomatoes with anchovies and olive oil and nothing else. I sent one back once because instead of tuna confit it had seared fresh tuna that was raw in the middle.

I think a certain amount of expectation is normal when it comes to a traditional dish in a restaurant but in a home kitchen you make what you feel and what’s available in the fridge and pantry.

3 Likes