Home Cooking 2022

Not sure if it’s a bomb, but easy and delicious.

Poach chicken breast in chicken broth until almost cooked. Remove and cook peas and cubed carrots in broth. Add a slurry of flour and milk to thicken, adding cream if you have it and a chunk of butter. Add cubed chicken.

Make crust dough from flour, 1/3 its volume in lard or suet, salt, enough water to bind. Work together gently but don’t overwork. Let rest a bit then roll out and cut circles an inch larger than your baking bowls. (I get suet from my butcher who simply shaves off a slice from larger beef roast.)

Heat oven to 400F. Ladle reheated chicken “stew” into baking bowls, cover with pastry circle, slashing a hole in top for steam. Brush with cream or egg wash if you wish. Bake until golden brown and puffed.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.36.32 AM

10 Likes

Nice @pilgrim! Love chicken pot pie!

1 Like

In need of motivation to cook more often…
It’s tricky to cook for one, no?

I made this one a little more mochi like last time, to resemble what Shunji San did last season.

Started from here:

*The sexy vegetables were from Chino Farm

They taught me a lot about how to use their veggies

What I miss the most are their tasty strawberries & ice cream tho. And the whole family, of course!

BTW, quick pickling strawberries are very addictive…

Anyways, I want to to figure out how Shunji San make his Renkon Mochi and the enoki gavy. It was very tasty! Whenever I come visit and have his food, there comes another episode of I wanna cook a bunch of stuff…

(I didn’t make this one, Shunji San did!)

Help, anyone :bowing_woman:

8 Likes

Wow beautiful dishes! I have been married for 34 years. I used to cook for one when the wife went out with friends. It wasn’t that much fun so now I usually go out for something she doesn’t like; sushi, Cajun, Thai, Indian, anything with clams. Your cooking looks wonderful! I hope you find someone to cook for soon - look for someone who doesn’t share your tastes but you still like; at least that’s what worked for me and it lasted. Go figure, and best of luck!!

1 Like

You’re so kind :relaxed: what do you and your wife enjoy to cook together at home?

1 Like

Usually I cook unless I am working. She cooks when I am away. We don’t often cook together. If we do it’s for a party and she does the appetizers and I do the mains and dessert. Oh and I do the dishes…she is allergic to dish detergent…sigh…

1 Like

That sounds like perfect team work :clap::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@attran99 @JeetKuneBao would eat this :yum: Stir-fried Ong Choy, Fried Mackerel & Fried Tofu & Light Fish Sauce… with a questionable amount of peanuts :sweat_smile:

Random questions: Where to get a smaller amount of decent Ong choy in LA? Or what to do with left over from the grocery-store-size for a family of 6? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Fried food is life :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

3 Likes

Farmers market, Mr thao farms sells them in reasonable bunches

3 Likes

Getting my banana pudding ready Friday morning at 7:45am so it’s ready by Sunday afternoon. Only 5 ingredients and always a crowd pleaser. I use a lot of bananas, the mini Nilla Wafers bc they incorporate better into the cream mixture and 50% more whipped cream to cut the sweetness a bit.

11 Likes

I :yellow_heart: Banana Pudding!

4 Likes

That recipe is a godsend.

1 Like

Same! Although I never thought to use Mini Nilla Wafers! Genius!

3 Likes

I prefer homemade nilla made fresh from organic creosote.

I serve mine with the minis on the side so you can eat it like chips and dip.

1 Like

You are a mad genius. I know what I am making for New Years…. Banana pudding + Champagne :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

Not sure I understand. You may have a spellcheck error or there is a process I have never conceived of. Creosote | US EPA

Why would the making of imitation vanilla be any more upsetting than the incredibly expensive and finicky process of harvesting real vanilla?

I’m sure there’s other common ingredients that are the result of rather specialized and highly industrial processes that we all use every day.

And while there’s certainly a difference between real and imitation vanilla extract, as the article you linked states, most of that difference is obliterated by heat, leaving mostly just vanillin. So for chocolate cake or other goods with bigger flavors, the subtlety of real vs imitation vanilla isn’t going to be perceptible.

Now, for something like a crème brûlée where vanilla is the MAIN flavor, and you don’t cook the hell out of it, real vanilla pods are probably worth it.

For a lot of other stuff, though, I can remember an America’s Test Kitchen segment where they said for MOST baked goods, imitation was indistinguishable from real.

5 Likes

If you don’t care whether your vanillin is organic or how freah it is, there’s no reason to make it from scratch.