Home Cooking 2024

something on the lines of this, I use the Japanese version of Sichuan pepper (Sansho) because I prefer the more lemony and less numbing flavor.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Vegetable chili made in the pressure cooker - we used Frijole Negro Santanero beans from Rancho Gordo which gave an incredible broth. Also used white mushrooms, onions, garlic, red peppers, crushed tomatoes, chipotle in adobo, chili and cumin powder, bay leaves, cilantro and vegetable broth. Topped with some sour cream and cheddar cheese.

6 Likes

My kind of meal!

Do you have a lot of recipes on-hand and do you plan ahead? I’m seriously impressed by how much home cooking you do.

3 Likes

We collect cookbooks and cooking magazine (mainly German magazines but also some US ones) and so we have tons of sources (and we tend to not repeat recipes - life is too short to not always try new things). In general we plan the weeks ahead quite detailed as it is the easiest way for us manage time with work and school for our daughter.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about doing a salad inspired by the one at Korean markets with the raw diary pieces. So I got some red oak lettuce, made a gochujang vinaigrette, bean thread vermicelli and veggies. Sliced up some maguro zuke (soy marinated tuna) and Albacore.

Next time I’m definitely adding avocado!

9 Likes

Green blop but a tasty green blop - green shakshuka with swiss chard (stems and leaves), baby spinach, onion, garlic, coriander and Ancho chili powder, vegetable broth, eggs, feta, dill and mint

5 Likes

Vietnamese inspired shrimps and brussels sprouts - shrimps were cooked in coconut caramel sauce made by reducing a mixture of shallots, garlic, molasses, fish sauce and coconut water. The brussels sprouts were first charred and then cooked in some coconut water before finishing with soy sauce

3 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

Avocado toast on home made bread with salsa macha

4 Likes

Eggplant dumplings from Ottolenghi’s Flavor with some stewed kale from a Pepin book. Diced eggplants get roasted in the oven, mashed and mixed with panko breadcrumbs, ricotta, parmesan, flour, parsley, basil, garlic and eggs. Formed into dumplings before panfried. Quick tomato sauce by pureeing tomatoes and cooking it with tomato paste, sugar, chili flakes, paprika and oregano. You mix the dumplings with the tomato sauce and bake it in the oven before finishing it with some olives, parmesan and basil.
The kale is simply stewed with some garlic, chili flakes and water.

3 Likes

That’s funny, I just skimmed this Eater article about how they simplified the recipe you made (I think).

How did you find the recipe as written? I’ve made a few Ottolenghi recipes over the years and he can a bit involved. Good results but not always for me.

Normally we put a time limit of 1 hour for weeknight cooking but I had a bit more time yesterday and as you said Ottolenghi recipes tend to be more involved but I have yet to have a disappointing one. The eggplant dumplings are very good (light, yet substantial, great flavor) and were, at least for us, definitely worth the effort (and a nice lunch today)

1 Like

Lamb ragu with fettuccine from the That Noodle Life book - bone-in lamb shoulder chops are braised in a sauce made from pancetta, onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste, white wine and beef broth and afterwards shredded before mixing with the pasta, peas and mint. Finished with some parmesan

5 Likes

A lunch -Chicken salad

4 Likes

Inspired by the super viral seared toro donburi @ YAKIUO in Roppongi Tokyo

Bluefin Tuna from Hmart (not the best, but passable @ home) - bits of Chutoro & belly on the cut that I soaked in soy sauce for an hour then seared on propane grill, 1 minute per main side. First time doing it and definitely nowhere as proficient as the people at Yakiuo.

Results are still excellent - skill floor is super low and would recommend trying it out.

Flame Broiler at home - sake marinated chuck eye/poor man’s ribeye finished w/ teriyaki glaze. Tons of cabbage high heat in a wok with beef tallow.

Simply cut fresh persian cucumbers for contrast and freshness.

8 Likes

Hamachi bowl with avo, cucumbers, and furikake

8 Likes

Stuffed Eggplant - Filling made from ground lamb, diced eggplant pulp, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, parmesan and parsley. Topped with some sour cream, parmesan and panko crumbs

3 Likes

delicious