How Asian Is Your Costco?

It’s a terrible location. That lot was never designed for a Costco

2 Likes

Sorry ya’ll. Monterey park is significantly worse than Alhambra.

Especially when it comes to parking.

The aisles are even more narrow. The warehouse itself is smaller. Parking is a shit show because there are really only 1-2 entrances and they are all one lane roads in past single parking stalls. So during peak times you can see a line of cars coming down the hill waiting to get into the parking lot.

On top of that. The parking lot is shared with a target, guitar center, in n out and chick fil a.

Also both have terrible selections.

Best Costco in regards to ease of parking and crowds is probably the one in San Dimas. The parking lot is massive and I don’t think I’ve ever waited more than 1-2 people in check out.

6 Likes

What caviars do they stock?

5 Likes

3 Likes

the ones that dont’ smell too good

3 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: What are “dumplings”?

I concur with this assessment. Getting to and parking at the MPK Costco is a mess. The few times I go, I park by Home Depot and walk.

Alhambra is just fine after 6:00PM on a weekday or before 11:00AM on Saturday. It’s better now that there is more parking (RIP Souplantation).

2 Likes

I go to the GG one since I just don’t love the layout at the one next to the district nor the one by the 405. The GG one has like some asian food, but not completely. It has interesting snacks that are like dried shrimp heads? Unless shrimp heads or tails as snacks is the normal and I just never noticed it until now haha. I think they had anko jelly maybe once? They always always carry that golden chicken stock. I didn’t look up the kanji so no clue what the make was, but it was expensive and I remember it was like liquid gold but chicken stock or broth.

We tried the dehydrated scallops from the Industry Hills Costco which nobody should ever go to unless their child is doing taekwondo half mile away for 2 hours.

Not bad but not sure I’d pay $12.99 for that bag again. The flavor reminded me of a bigger chewier jwipo.

Whoa they got dehydrated scallops? Those are money for any type of soup.

1 Like

And fried rice, I think? Or was it over bok choy? Or both?

@js76wisco: have you had dried scallops at Chinese places? I love them, and just wondering if the Costco ones have the same flavor… (I’ve never had jwipo)

The poll is still open. Given the layoffs I wonder if they still plan to do anything with it.

The only dried scallops I’ve seen at Costco are the individually wrapped ones for snacking. Not sure I’d pay $12.99 too often, either, but I like them enough.

Sorry they are baked not dehydrated. There were 14 individually wrapped scallops for $12.49. Each one is about the size of a quarter.

They taste of the sea but not fishy with a little sweetness. That’s why it reminds me of jwipo.

4 Likes

Oh, weird!!! I’ve never heard of that.

I just called Alhambra Costco to inquire about the price and availability of Tropical Fruity Boba Mochi, lychee flavor. They have over 500 bags, $8.99. Is that very Asian?

Fine print: I’m not a Costco member. Called for relative who is not English fluent. How Asian is that?

7 Likes

That boba mochi happens to be on sale this period, so the appropriate Asian perspective is that you would actually be losing money if you don’t buy any.

6 Likes

I’ve had these at the GG Costco. Yeah, it tastes like the sea, a bit salty if I remember correctly.

I somehow missed the follow-up article.