I need to say a few things about CROISSANTS

Thanks for sharing. These pastries look very good and we always need good places to stop down in SD county. What type of beans do they use for the lattes?

Their espresso is a medium blend and always changing. They roast their own. One of the best espressos in the Southland we’ve had.

Special morning bun pick up Mother’s Day Weekend:

https://www.revoroasters.com/pastry-box

2 Likes

Wayfarer’s a favorite. Go early, the line gets heavy an hour after opening even if you pre-order online (same line length).

@chewchow Thanks for all the info! Always had a tough time finding good pastries/coffee in San Diego.

4 Likes

Arsicault, SF. 9 AM.

12 Likes

I guess do what makes you happy but I definitely would not be standing in a line like that on Saturday morning or pretty much any morning.

5 Likes

The lines are long there but it moves super fast.

5 Likes

[car braking noise]

Wait, one can simply freeze and reheat fully cooked pastries??? Is this common knowledge, b/c it seems totally revolutionary to me.

2 Likes

Indeed. We were about 15 deep and the wait was about 20 minutes. Much faster on my weekday visit.

4 Likes

Yup. Best to freeze as close to cooling as possible. I use FoodSaver ziploc bags, load, freeze flat, then vacuum out as much air as possible without shattering the outer layer. You can also wrap in plastic wrap, then place in a ziploc bag. They start to lose their luster past two months.

Re-warm in a 350F oven for ~7 min depending on their size. Mine keep more than 95% of their interior honeycomb structure.

Note croissants :croissant: and lacquered pastry with dairy :milk_glass: may not freeze well.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

My partner in crime reminds me we purchased every croissant :croissant: on the menu. All had good structure and thought it was the best croissant in SD.

We definitely make a special effort for pizza :pizza: night.

2 Likes

In furtherance of the croissant discussion I grabbed one at colossus bread in San Pedro. It had good layering in the middle but did not hold a candle to chaumont. Not as crispy not as buttery and not as smooth on the inside.

Reviewed some other pastries in the South Bay thread.

10 Likes

Chaumont today. Still wonderful

14 Likes

Do you all carry serrated knives to get these photos?

1 Like

This one was a bite :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Happened to be in North County SD… A little bit on the sweet side but well laminated.

6 Likes

Tried Lou the French this weekend for the first time. Thought it was about on par with Chaumont, though, the one advantage Chaumont has is I don’t have to wait in a 30 minute single file line. It also has better coffee. Putting all that aside, though, the almond croissant was truly great, and the fruit tart had me swearing Porto’s off forever.

8 Likes

Yeah the Lou fruit tart is insane. Eclair too.

1 Like

Now I’m afraid of popping in and saying I really liked the ones from Konbi :sob:

But will definitely try Lou’s and Chaumont this weekend !

7 Likes

Please post pics!

Konbi is really good and they use butter from Isigny. Their version is by far the best I’ve had in LA but they also had the advantage where my my croissant was served fresh out of the oven which makes a world of difference.

7 Likes