In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy, Huckleberry, The Brentwood, Republique, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!

Is Willie Mae’s any good?

1 Like

Had in Nola a few years back, very good but I wouldn’t say life changing. It’s wet battered, so the crust is pretty thick if that’s your thing.

1 Like

Ooh, I had never thought about crust thickness. I am actually probably a thick-crust person. The Colony is really close to me, so potentially “very good” works just fine for me (I did not like Main Chick much at all).

3 Likes

Main Chick is pretty good I think! Kind of formulaic but not expensive and hits the spot IMO.

Ok, I got regular bone-in chicken from Popeyes for the gazillionth time and my impression is always the same…

I just don’t get it.

I don’t understand all the love. The spicy is not spicy at all, it has zero flavor other than maybe salt. The texture is great and the location I go to always serves fresh hot juicy chicken. But… yeah… no.

The chicken sandwich I love the bread, pickles, sauce on the spicy and thickness of the breast. But the chicken is such a blank canvas, emphasis on the word, BLANK.

2 Likes

Kentucky FC is the best FF fried chicken sandwich. The only thing I hate is at the one near me they always act like it is such a hassle to get me extra sauces even though I am willing to pay

1 Like

Get red beans rice. Eat chicken on top of red bean rice. Eat red bean rice with chicken chicharron. 3pc wings is great for this purpose. Also they used to do a 1.99/2pc deal on Tuesday which skyrocketed the QPR

3 Likes

The fried chicken wings at Nathalie Thai at Pico and Robertson are surprisingly good. They are stuffed with silver noodles, mushrooms, & cabbage, then deep-fried. Very flavorful and tender.

2 Likes