In search of sgv recommendations

You just need to send the one with a pocket full of hundreds.

yes they will

1 Like

Just walk down a block on Valley (eastward) and hit up VK Foods for some tofu pudding (w/ginger syrup) and some pandan mochi.

3 Likes

My parents would actually go get a ticket and then come back home to try to wake us up. Ta-da! Ready to be seated by the time we all arrive. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The filial piety guilt gods must have skipped the visit to your house, homie.

1 Like

Yup! And the world is better place for that. :wink:

But we also didn’t live far (or they didn’t work far) from any of the places they were getting numbers from. It was actually way more efficient for everyone, truth be told.

Efficiency has nothing to do with filial piety.

I’m trying to round up the family votes for Chinese Christmas dinner, I mean, they’ve all seen A Christmas Story a million times.

Question: Do any restaurants do roast goose, or are willing to do so with a pre-order?

If you’re willing to expand beyond Chinese roast goose, the Pikey is doing a roast goose as part of its Christmas menu.

started things off with lunch and a sauna today at chengdu taste (to be followed by a “sichuan cleanse” in the morning). it’s been 2.5 years since our last visit. they’re still very good. and even with three branches in the sgv there was a long wait (for a lunch on a tuesday) when we were leaving at about 1.

And a quick write-up of that meal on the blog.

The erroneous delivery of sliced fish and tofu pudding in place of the ordered mild fish and tofu in earthen pot made the meal somewhat lethal (and a bit unbalanced) but this was yet another excellent meal at Chengdu Taste. All our meals there have been at the Alhambra original. Are the other two SGV outlets as good? And what’s the word on the Vegas location?

Since its post-opening phase, I’ve gone to the Rosemead location. Waits were usually much less, if at all, and I didn’t notice any drop-off in quality from the original location.

1 Like

Thanks much for this recommendation. We had a nice lunch there today. we each had the $29 sushi combination (8 pieces of nigiri, including some interesting, new to us fish+miso soup+blue crab handroll) and then we added on a piece each of tako, hotate, ikura and uni. With tax and tip this came to $60/head. Pretty good value.

1 Like

it seems to me that one would expect that from any chain that has an identified head chef whose main priority would be to standardize recipes/techniques & ensure consistency from location to location. having said that, are there that many dishes offered that require technique vs. having the right ingredients to achieve the desired results in terms of texture/taste?

i like their cold table (i can sense @TonyC sneering) but not much else there, though i now prefer the cold plate at ding’s garden.

and shau may/kang kang still produces a decent SJB (though i now prefer the version at tasty noodle house)

Due to the perfidy of millenials we will be heading to Sea Harbour tomorrow sans reservations, as a party of 6. And we will not arrive till 11. Please pray for us.

3 Likes

We pre-ordered two ducks, but I’m not sure which fish to order or preparation to request. Something festive, obviously. Any suggestions?

Treachery most foul!

treachery most fowl!

Well, more elders were randomly added on to the group. This has not led to a reservation at Sea Harbour, however. Instead, the elders want to go eat kalbi tang in Koreatown, location as yet unknown. So we will go to Sea Harbour for a more relaxed weekday meal next week. Families!

2 Likes