Induction cooking

After a long/slow preheat the measured temperature difference between outer edges and center was less than that of a thinner carbon steel pan.

1 Like

Sorry for my delay in replying.

My large burner is 11" diameter. My largest skillet is 11" also. My large, Lodge, cast iron, Dutch oven is 10-1/2" diameter. I make Kenjiā€™s Bolognese in it with plenty of room to spare. Hereā€™s the list of ingredients to give you an idea:

• 1 quart (1L) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 to 1 1/2 ounces powdered gelatin (4 to 6 packets; 30 to 45g), such as Knox (see notes)
  • 1 (28-ounce; 800g) can peeled whole tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
  • 1/2 pound (225g) finely minced chicken livers
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound (450g) ground beef chuck (about 20% fat)
  • 1 pound (450g) ground pork shoulder (about 20% fat)
  • 1 pound (450g) ground lamb shoulder (about 20% fat)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 4 tablespoons (60g) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 pound (225g) finely diced pancetta
  • 1 large onion, finely minced (about 8 ounces; 225g)
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped (about 8 ounces; 225g)
  • 4 ribs celery, finely chopped (about 8 ounces; 225g)
  • 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup (about 25g) minced fresh sage leaves
  • 1/2 cup (about 50g) minced fresh parsley leaves, divided
  • 2 cups (475 ml) dry white or red wine
  • 1 cup (235 ml) whole milk
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup (235 ml) heavy cream
  • 3 ounces (85g) finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce, such as Red Boat

Our range is Samsung and is, IIRC, seven years old. The medium two burners are 7-1/2" and the small one is 6-1/4". Our daughter went with induction in the last year and she has five burners which I believe is more common now. We have an induction ā€˜hot plateā€™ in our RV and Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a little bigger than the 7-1/2" one.

Re deep frying, what is meant by that. I fry things like shrimp and use a deepā€™ish fry pan so itā€™s not splattering out (much). But the oil isnā€™t ā€œdeep.ā€ Anything I fry, the oil isnā€™t as deep as the food since Iā€™m going to turn it part ways through.

As far as price, hereā€™s the Google link that shows prices:
https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+induction+range&rlz=1CAUSZT_enUS994US994&oq=samsung+induction&aqs=chrome.0.0i131i433i512j69i57j0i512l8.5216j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If Iā€™ve missed anything feel free to ask.

Again, I wouldnā€™t trade it for anything. 100% seriously.

1 Like

Thanks! Thatā€™s very thorough although the size of the burner doesnā€™t necessarily seem to correlate with the size of the magnet (?) which is my concern, especially if those specs arenā€™t available online.

Re: deep frying, from the ATK rundown (which again, was burners but not stovetops which seems dubiously reliable to compare):

Curiously, despite having burned fondue, a couple of those models werenā€™t powerful enough to bring 2 quarts of oil to 375 degrees when we tried deep-frying. In fact, one of the burners was still 35 degrees shy of the desired temperature after an entire hour of heating

Even their runner up burner (the non-Control Freak option) had this issue:

Its 6-inch heating coil means that it works best with smaller cookwareā€”when we seared burgers in a 12-inch skillet, they browned unevenly. It also struggled in the deep-frying test, taking 20 minutes for the temperature to come back up between batches of zucchini fries, slowing our progress

Iā€™m curious if itā€™s as @burritoking mentioned and non-American manufacturers and/or American brands hawking European brands might avoid the above issues given the technology has been more embraced elsewhere.

Absolutely not BS - to get the best results for frying good temperature control is important (and there isnā€™t only one frying temperature) - sure you can use just a random temperature but the results will be far from good. Especially if the temperature is too low, which seems to be the case with some inductions systems, you will get soggy results which absorb too much oil.
Your advice reminds me how many people cook steaks by just pressing on the meat to guess the doneness (and are surprised if they donā€™t get the desired final product) instead of using a thermometer

Your point is ? - Different foods require different deep frying temperatures and not some random temperature between 325 and 400F
For example you should fry fries st two different temperatures - like first at 325 and than a second time at 400

standalone induction burners are not at all comparable to proper induction cooktops (breville control-freak aside). almost all of the standalone burners have limited max power, and having used a number of different brands of them (except the breville one, because it is the price of half a proper induction cooktopā€¦), i have found the experience of using them to be universally poor, even when the rated max power indicates it should be comparable to the max burner on my cooktop. iā€™ve never bothered to look into why this is - my uneducated complete making-stuff-up guess is that the quality of the magnet/circuit is lower.

i hesitate to mention this because i dont think it really can offer you that great a preview of what a proper induction cooktop can do, but some municipalities and power companies have programs that let you borrow an induction cooktop for a couple weeks. i guess if you find using a portable cooktop palatable, a proper range will feel entirely capable and comfortableā€¦

Cool.

I see a few references online to induction cooktops with a deep-fry setting but I havenā€™t found one with a mention of such a setting in its manual.

Some guy hacked his induction cooktop so that it would get the oil hotter. Definitely not something most people would want to do.

My top setting on all four burners is ā€œHI/Boost.ā€ I just bring water to a boil on that never cook/fry on it. I donā€™t have a thermometer (or need one) to measure the temp of oil. If I could borrow one I would out of curiosity.
PS: Iā€™ve never made French fries :slight_smile:

You donā€™t deep-fry so wonā€™t encounter the issue.

deep-frying is no issue on a proper cooktop. on portable induction burners, maintaining high temperature is different than on a proper cooktop because cooling becomes a significant issue. the cheap burners donā€™t have any active heat dissipation method, so if the energy output is high for a while, they automatically throttle down in order to regulate their internal circuit temperature. on a proper cooktop, there is typically (ie any good brand will have this) a fan that will kick on if youā€™ve been cranking at high energy output for a long while, and the internal heat dissipation is inherently much better.

3 Likes

Good explanation. I should bring the induction ā€œhot plateā€ in from the rv and do a comparison.

this looks intriguing:
10kW peak power (40seconds to boil water)
battery powered, making it 120V compatible (and they claim other additional benefits)
(overly fancy) knobs

3 Likes

Wonder how long it takes to charge the battery, how long the battery lasts, and if the battery ā€œsupplementsā€ the juice from a 120V connection (or is the battery the sole source of power in that situation?).

Sounds a bit like a hybrid car.