ISO Traditional sushi in SD

I have a japanese friend who is very much into sushi and he went multiple times to Kaito and Tadokoro. He liked Tadokoro but similar to cgfan also said that if you want outstanding sushi comparable to good places in Tokyo you should go to Kaito as it is in another league than Tadokoro

Being American doesn’t make you an expert on American food; being Japanese doesn’t make you an expert in Japanese food. There’s a debate here: some people from Japan favor Kaito, some favor Tadokoro. I think Kaito is excellent, but it’s not at some transcendent, higher level vis-a-vis Tadokoro.

1 Like

Just reporting another opinion (but in general I think if somebody is in general interested in food a Japanese will have a better idea about the quality of japanese food than a non-Japanese. Same with Italian people and Italian food, French people and French food etc. etc)

Thanks DD - I wondered that myself and re-read it many, many times before posting, though I also wanted to clarify, FWIW, that I personally wasn’t recommending Tadokoro.

I’ve made this comment over on that other site in the past, but I used to do a lot of business with a huge Jaoanese trading company. Visited Japsn many times and their people came to SoCal often too. The one thing I recall vividly is that their major concern was not so much with the quality of the fish but with the rice. Now this was 20 years go, for the most part, so I’m sure sushi has come a huge distance since then in these parts. Could have been that their expectation re the fish wasn’t high, but they hoped the rice would at least be OK. Wonder what they’d have to say today.

Yes, just bad writing. referring to my situation here in CO. Just imagining me doing what you do but in CO. I’m probably skipping Shirahama. Not enough choices for the family. I know SD can hit it out of the park with sushi as much as LA can.

1 Like

Tadokoro is far better quality than other SD sushi joints at a similar price point. It is really sad that of all the sushi joints in SD, a place generally considered to be the second best is thought to be substandard enough to be considered pedestrian. WTF

I think generally speaking a certain population raised in a certain culture will have a better knowledge of the culture and it’s food. Within that you have those who understand the flavor profile very well. However, I don’t think it’s mutually exclusive and that just because you weren’t raised in the culture, that one will never gain a full understanding of the food and it’s flavors. I also think within the culture you will always have a percentage of people with just poor taste in food. My cousin in Japan has the worst taste in food. At least his repertoire and what he eats is very limited. And American food? I have some great friends very educated that even work in the food industry and love the worst restaurants.

Yet, when you asked J L, the person YOU deemed “the sushi expert on the LA board”, which was better Kaito or Tadokoro, he said Sayonara to Kaito. The point is that there’s room for dissenting opinions from so called experts or aficionados. One doesnt have to degrade one place to endorse another. Nuff said.

Where did I deem J L “the sushi expert on the LA board” ? I don’t know J L and have no idea about his knowledge about anything but I do know my japanese friend and his background and knowledge. I still value a real life person higher than any anonymous internet “person”.

1 Like

Right HERE. Your own words.

Do really have to put a smiley on all posts to indicate that I am not serious ?
As I said before (here and CH) discussions on the internet are helpful but we tend to forget that we don’t know the people and their backgrounds and knowledge

Sometimes I wish Trump would utter those words.

2 Likes

I just wish he would disappear

2 Likes

Nice back track. As my teen would say, “what ever”. :smile:

Didn’t you know? @honkman used to be a star CB for his college football team.