January 2020 Rundown

Cricket breakfast at work…gotta load up on protein

7 Likes

Yes and yes. The best version of one of my favorite sandwiches, and I’d probably post more if it wasn’t such a pain in the ass to do it on my phone.

3 Likes

Hi @moonboy403,

Nice! You should have them roll up the Chapulines into your HK Cafe Steamed Rice Rolls! :wink:

1 Like

stuffed rice rolls…now we’re talking!

Friday Apple Fritter at Sidecar

Kinda miss the crunch from the Cambodian spots but this is still good!

8 Likes

Los Cinco Puntos

• massive tacos
  • handmade corn tortillas that are thick but pillow soft and flavorful
  • excellent carnitas
  • good buche
  • exellent cuerito
  • :fire: :fire: :fire: salsa

9 Likes

I’ve never tried tire shop taqueria, but Los Cinco Puntos are my favorite tacos in the city.

1 Like

You should try Tire Shop, IMO the best tacos in LA

4 Likes

Los Cinco Puntos excels in carnitas so the natural comparison would be Carnitas El Momo while Tire Shop has fantastic asada and chorizo.

4 Likes

Thanks! Carnitas are my go to at Los Cinco Puntos. Who has your favorite al pastor?

I haven’t been to enough places for al pastor but my favorite at the moment is Tacos 1986

1 Like

You mean best carne asada tacos right? Cause I’m all about the al pastor these days.

El Pastorcito in Silver Lake. Doesn’t get mentioned here but it’s the best in the city imho.

2 Likes

Grilled sea bream head (Sushi Tomi, Mountain View)

Soft opening of The Yakitori Bar (Fremont)

Zuwaigani and kani miso (Sushi Sam’s, San Mateo)

Dungeness crab (vinegar marinated, Sushi Yoshizumi) offered only during the week Toyosu fish market was closed in early January

Chicken and Waffles for breakfast (Neal’s coffee shop, Millbrae)

6 Likes

Where in silver lake is this? Not finding it on google maps. Very interested, because al pastor is a passion of mine…

My go-to spots are El Flamin’ in Echo Park and Angel’s NoHo, of course in addition to Leo’s and Tamix. The spot at the intersection of Figueroa and York in Highland Park is hit or miss, but when it’s on they’re quite good. Chiquis in Hollywood is the same way.

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I have been incredibly disappointed in 1986 every time I’ve had it, particularly in their al pastor.

2 Likes

Hyperion and Rowena in front of the 7-11 for Pastorcito

I’m down to try a new Al Pastor spot, because for me it’s always been Leo’s or Tamix. The Western x Sunset location of Leo’s is probably the most convienent for parking. More likely Leo’s because it’s close to Koreatown, Hollywood, and Silver Lake/Echo Park but if I am more south than Tamix. Los Guichos is pretty solid at 110 and Slauson.
Some generalists places I like that also have al Pastor is Ave 26, cant beat the $1 price and those potatoes!!! I like El Flamin, but more for the gringas and alambres.

I have yet to try 1986 though.

Al Pastor has kinda took a backseat recently with the birria and asada

2 Likes

They set up shop on the corner of Hyperion and Rowena. Note that they are only there from Thur to Sunday and some random Wednesdays. The trompo is always firing when they are there, unlike Leo’s.

Their Carne asada is unfortunately a big pass though. Suadero is decent.

2 Likes

A stoned walk turned into a stoned walk to SK Donuts turned into a

STONED DONUT PHOTOSHOOT

Creme Brûlée

Carrot Cake

Oreo Cronut

FIN

14 Likes

That carrot cake doughnut looks pretty dense.

1 Like

I need all of that in my life

1 Like