January Weekend Rundown (2016)

Dog Haus. I like the love boat better though (tots/chili/slaw). Of course you can always get the slaw on the side…

I must admit that this rendition looks better than the one that @TonyC posted… :wink:

I bet you loved the tots and your tots loved the beer.

you mean I loved the beer and tot loved the tots. tots = cylindrical fries = you be quiet while I drink my beer.

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:94, topic:2255”]
looks better than the one that @TonyC
[/quote]dick!

Have had the Dog haus tots. They’re pretty good (and far more accessible to most) , but the Rose City tots’ serving size borders a pound, and are far crispier.

You’re a beast dude. I can barely finish the DH serving.

I’m poor, 'member? 1 (unphotogenic) tray of Rose City chili cheese tots serves 4 seeing I can’t afford Sizzlers.

The DH tots are great complement to the dogs (and beer), I get it.

Are the pizzas any good there?

I suppose this isn’t worth an entire thread about, but the Secret Spot in Huntington Beach is one of my favorite little places in all of SoCal. The HBSS is a burrito you can have stuffed with organic chicken, tofu, or (the best option) grilled veggie turkey. It contains fresh avocado, a brilliant cheese blend, grilled potatoes, house BBQ sauce, and salsa. An absolutely extraordinary accomplishment of Surfer Cuisine. Maybe not for everyone, but for me, one of the most simple, enjoyable things to eat. Everything fresh, and delicious. The veggie turkey gets particularly crisped up and adds both fascinating texture and umami bombs into the mix that are very different from anything else I’ve eaten in a burrito. Plus the mixture of BBQ sauce and salsa is remarkable. I’ve just never had anything else like it anywhere else.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAvbEmPE0LE/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

1 Like

Quick trip to Vegas

Bardot

More truffle fries cuz addictive

Spago (Caesars)

Lupo

Yamadaya
Egg getting better

ST Patisserie “exotic” serious addictive too

Eggslut

5 Likes

Hanjip dinela lunch special

4 Likes

Found a fishmonger at the Cerritos Farmers Market.

Fresh shrimp and scallops the size of my hand, Thai snapper, and a free sample of cold-smoked salmon.

Pan-seared the Thai snapper and scallops. Garlic prawns. Zucchini noodle stir-fry. Fast, fresh, and delicious.

5 Likes

Had an incredible dinner at Ham Ji Park. Hadn’t been in years, and now I’m wondering what the hell I was thinking. The ribs are so freaking good, and the squid noodles–yes please. This place rocks.

1 Like

Sunday champagne brunch at Taps in Brea. While it’s been quite some time since I’ve been here, it hasn’t changed too much. More egg offerings from the kitchen now including seafood omelettes, chilequiles, and breakfast burritos. The bananas Foster is no longer served hot over ice cream anymore…it’s now cold and served with a Belgian waffle and ice cream. I miss it served hot, and I got freshly fried mini doughnuts to dip in the caramel rum sauce…now that was almost good enough to make up for the fact that the Bananas Foster was cold. I miss the extensive charcuterie and cheese offerings…and you have to order the smoked salmon from the kitchen now. Today’s Blue Point oysters weren’t shucked well, as they were still stuck to the shell…but they’ve developed a lovely little nuoc cham for it in place of mignonette. The ceviche and craving station remain winners to me. Service was excellent as always…mimosas topped off without requests and plates quickly cleared away. Not a bad way to spend a morning with a friend.

1 Like

Yesterday:
Lunch at Superba in El Segundo. Burger medium rare. It was VERY good. Not a big beef-y taste, but the texture was wonderful. Good fries, too. Kale toast and croque madame were fine but not outstanding (I’ve been spoiled by Huckleberry; their croque monsieur/madame is indistinguishable). Dinner at Guisados in WeHo. The fish taco is perfectly prepared (very tender). I wish the bistek and chuleta weren’t so… wet.

This morning:
Croissant from Amandine. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Last weekend:
Hannosuke - tempura and cold soba combo. The soba was gummy and a bit flavorless. The tempura was mostly okay, except the nori (seaweed) was clogged with oil.

This weekend:
LocoL - veggie burger, veggie nuggets, tofu and veggie stew, collard greens, and iced coffee. Tasty fast food with great vegetarian options. The smoky and vinegary collard greens were the standout for me.

Myung In Dumplings (S-Mart location in Torrance) - steamed vegetable dumplings. There were four elegantly pleated, softball-sized dumplings to an order for $8. They were nicely pillowy with a subtle mixture of julienned cabbage, carrots, egg, glass noodles, and green onions.

India Spiceland (Torrance) - vegetarian combo with two curries, rice, naan, and soup for $5.99. It’s a teeny-tiny mom and pop grocery store, filled to the rafters with groceries, but there’s also a take-out counter. I have bought groceries here previously, but always had a hunch that their food was good. Everything was light and flavorful, which was welcome after having fast food at LocoL yesterday. It wasn’t fancy, but was modest, comforting home cooking. My favorite was the soup, which was akin to a watery, but nicely spiced sambar with a slaw (carrots, cabbage, jalapenos, and cucumbers) and samosa skin chips (i.e. the Indian version of wonton strips). I was very satisfied by the contrasting textures of the soup. The owners, an older Indian couple, are very charming and managed to upsell me on a samosa, which was quite good. The naan was not homemade, but was a griddled Pillsbury version. I will definitely try the masala dosa (crepe filled with spiced potatoes), vada (savory donuts), and idli (steamed rice/lentil cakes) next time I’m in the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Great lunch & treat at The Original Farmer’s Market!

3 Likes

Friday - Salt Air - such an underrated gem

Saturday - Yazawa - this place will be impossible to get into when the superlative reviews start flowing. It is pure Meat Magic. Every bite is a little bit(e) of Heaven.

Chateaubriand

Sunday - Connie & Ted’s

2 Likes

have they started increasing their prices yet?

two of my favorite things @ Farmers Market!! Our office just polished off a box of Littlejohn’s toffee that we didn’t give out to one of our clients for the holidays (gotta buy an extra one for ourselves!!!). Love Magee’s corn beef.

2 Likes

Magee’s is an under appreciated treasure of corned beef.

1 Like