Johnny Lee On Cantonese White Chicken Video

@Ns1 rue but in regards to Vietnamese food they’ve incorporated French ideas quite naturally by now and the cuisine has evolve just like with Japanese food. Chinese cuisine hasn’t quite got there yet since most of the country has been quite isolated from the West for such a long time. Only places like Hong Kong and Macau are obviously evident of the influence of Western technique.

@NYCtoLA Much agreed, I’ve never had roasted duck as good outside China.

1 Like

Because most local HKers only like cheap local food. Part of the reason why Hong Kong’s food culture’s relatively lacking is because there’s no Food Network equivalent there to educate people on what’s done properly or not or why an ingredient is worth more. When it comes to cooking, most of HK’s popular TV channels only invite celebrities to demonstrate cooking which defeats the purpose of such demonstrations…When there are food focused TV shows, the focus is inevitably on Japanese or Taiwanese food or good eats in Japan or Taiwan so that can explain HKer’s love for Japan and Taiwan.

As far as Lung King Heen goes, whether it’s actually “worth” the money is subjective but putting cost aside, their overall quality of ingredients used and attention to detail in their cooking is undeniable.

2 Likes

I think Chef Johnny (and please correct me if I’m wrong, Chef) is not so much as interested in “high end” HK cuisine preparations as he is in preserving traditional Chinese cooking methods. These are two different concepts.

I would even go so far as to say that many (if not most) “high end” preparation and cooking techniques we see in modern HK cooking these days, even for what we undeniably call Cantonese fare, have had at least some absorbed influences from Western kitchens.

As for the monied set in HK enjoying local, low key food - Absolutely! Why not? Sure, they can afford the high end stuff on a daily basis, but the local fare can often be more authentically prepared. Old money tend to also be “low key” about it anyways, so it jives with those values as well.

1 Like

Most definitely. I’ve seen a number of videos where the higher end chefs, whether young or old, talking about breaking out of their own comfort zone and learning from western techniques to improve their own cooking. Corey Lee from Benu does the exact opposite in going to HK and China to learn the Chinese way of doing things to supplement his French techniques.

The problem is that these authentically prepared low key food are of a dying breed and more of a rarity than not in HK due to several factors: sourcing, rising wage and rent, lack of interest in said craft whether its from customers or aspiring chefs that want to learn. The cheap local food that I was referring to are just souped up version of canned or processed food from China while the “cheap” food that you’re referring to are the wonton noodle, congee stalls, etc… that require intensive labor and cost at least 30 - 50% more than the neighborhood joint that’s serving crap. Nobody that I know in HK gives a crap about these authentic “cheap” food (only by American standards are they cheap) since they are expensive by HK standards.

This couple aren’t any ordinary local HKers…especially if they hit up Kimoto and Shinohara (very difficult to get into for one thing).

HK Cantonese high end fine dining is rather weird. Even if it is Michelin, it’s not a guarantee you will like it. You still have to know exactly where to go, what to order, and build a relationship with staff for a great experience. There are a few Opinionated About Dining members who voted up some high end places there (basically would call these expensive places their “canteens” as if a neighborhood place), and obviously they get the best treatment all the time (who also entertain other OAD members visiting and their friends) as big spenders and repeat customers. But the average person even with $, with no connection, will not get the same treatment and different experience. I don’t think LKH is that way, but a lot of places could be like that.

There is one fine dining Cantonese restaurant I’ve been dying to go to (the name escapes me now…darn), but you need to have a connection with someone who is friends with the executive chef and go in a big group to try all the special dishes. He’s quite legendary in the local upper end Cantonese circles and is quite up there in age, but from what I read, he’s one of the best still around and does a lot of labor intensive dishes, but yet in the pictures the presentation is literally like kaiseki, but without the modern kitchen toys, tweezers, and douchebaggery. Don’t think his restaurant has a star, but I’d put that on my list over LKH. #2 on the list would be Yan Toh Heen and maybe Spring Moon at the Peninsula, and this is from trusted sources.

At the end of the day it is perceived value. Everything is getting more expensive in HK.
Look at Sushi Saito HK…over US$400 a person… and to think back in 1991 a tekka maki (6 piece hosomaki) at a run of the mill Central Japanese restaurant cost $25!!

2 Likes

KC Blog?

Not him, although my good friend (also is in the HK food review circles and is far more knowledgeable about Japanese cuisine and culture than I, we dined a few times in Tokyo back in February) whose tastes align with mine and know personally does say LKH can be very good, but was very specific in how to go about dining. I didn’t press for further details since I was more fascinated with the other places. Though I will say from what I’ve seen, Spring Moon can be quite astronomical despite the lavishness, deliciousness, and to some extent the history (ie not as trendy).

KC’s resource does offer some good photos and ideas of where to dine for locals or visitors fluent in Chinese/Cantonese for reference, or at least to stay in tune with new places. I think one time KC did tell me that he recommended Spring Moon for super high end quality XO sauce to buy as souvenir (perishable as it only lasts a week) but beware of US customs bringing it back as it contains Jinghua ham, unless you want to do the Han Solo thing. Another place he recommended to get it from was Mandarin Hotel (Central) gift shop I think. I ended up spending $20 to $30 USD a jar instead getting Shanghai hairy crab roe XO sauce from Lao San Yang 老三陽 in Causeway Bay (old school Shanghainese/Ningbo grocery shop)…Han Solo’d the hell out of it LOL.

1 Like

Care to share his review website?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’m not interested in high end Cantonese cuisine but many of what I perceive to be high level techniques are applied to the simplest of dishes such as chinese cabbage and consomme. There are many techniques and dishes from Pre-Cultural Revolution time I would love to learn about but its difficult to track them down when I can’t read Chinese.

These days in HK it seems the only way to experience some of these old dishes is to visit a private kitchen but that is a challenge in itself if you don’t have the right connections or big enough group to experience it.

2 Likes

Pork jowl char siu bowl from @JLee tonight at Chinatown after dark

5 Likes

Taste and texture? :drooling_face:

Delicious, so good I ordered another one to go

2 Likes

No neon red food coloring?

Nope, red yeast rice was used according to his IG

14 posts were split to a new topic: Should some people avoid red yeast rice?

Speaking of char siu I’ll be in SF next month.

I’ll triple bang bang bang Palette>Hing Lung Co> Ming Kee for you guys. It will be perfect

5 Likes

My char siu there was less than perfect. Better yet, skip Palette altogether.

3 Likes

So Dragon Beaux for dim sum or is there some where better?

2 Likes

House made XO sauce from Palette is excellent. Get a few jars to go if you end up there.