July 2022 Rundown

Wow that dry ager(?) and grill combo is insane.

3 Likes

Tonir Cafe This was a fine lunch. It seems the inside has shifted to all takeout but you’re free to eat your pickup order insider. Bonus for friendly stuff and easy online ordering.

For roughly 13 bucks you get 2 tasty kebabs, a decent salad and 2 sides. Eggplant caviar was tasty enough although the hummos was a swing and a miss. Overall, given inflation it’s a good value although I’m not in a rush to go back. For ~3 more bucks I’d much rather get a lunch special from Adana.

image0
image1

10 Likes

Very interesting.

I remember when Joshua Smookler was messing around with dry aging A5 wagyu in his little ramen shop in NYC . I’m glad he’s able to spread his wings.

2 Likes

Had Esco’s on my radar for quite a while. It’s right next-door to Bludso‘s BBQ.

Great selection of slices ready to go. Slices are from a 22” pie. They make two sizes of whole pies, 18” and 22”.

Nice and thin.

Undercarriage.

You can read my quick impression of my slice, here:

I only got a slice because 1/2 hour earlier I had….

Mariscos Jalisco.

In the strip next door to the truck, I saw this…

PSA: remember, childrens, once you have sex the market value for your hair goes WAY down.

17 Likes

South Philly bangs

Hoagies!

Herr chips are a must. The state of PA has to be the chip capital of the US and imo Herrs and Utz are the best (Utz makes those Zapp Voodoo chips as well). Arizona is always my bev of choice for hoagies and bodega sandwiches. If you don’t like chips in your sandwiches we can’t be friends.

Tomato pie and cannoli. I prefer Sarcones. For tomato pies and that 10/10 seeded roll that the best places use for hoagies and cheesesteaks.

Pop’s Wooder Ice. Better than John’s imo @PorkyBelly

I always get lemon and sometimes cherry but mostly lemon. Look at the bits of lemon zest in the wooder ice. I should have got a large!

South Philly is easily one of the best food neighborhoods on the east coast and in the country.

18 Likes

Damn those sandwiches look soooooo damn good.

Utz are indeed very good!

Zapp’s are my favorite. Used to get them all the time in the south. Utz bought them several years ago and then made them available to the rest of the country.

I get bombarded with text messages from them. I bought several mixed cases of zapps and now they won’t leave me alone. Got two texts today from them.

2 Likes

try tacconelli’s in port richmond for the margherita; white; and mushroom and sausage.

2 Likes

Damn. Water ice in the 215. Brings back memories… Thanks JKD!

3 Likes

Keep an eye out for Grandma Utz chips, fried in lard.

3 Likes

Girl Scouts thin mint blizzard

7 Likes

Heritage BBQ. Lines were pretty long on Sunday. Got there at 11am and took us about an hour to get to the front. The pork ribs and beef rib were the standouts but everything was delicious. Had to get a second order of Mac n cheese and extra chips for the queso.

a

21 Likes

:cow2: :cow2: :cow2: :cow2: :cow2:

18 Likes

Du ma Vietnamese sizzling steak and eggs with banh mi😍

Finally found really good chilaquiles (Roble de raiz de La mesa, Rosarito, MX)

14 Likes

TEASE!!! I gasped from pleasure when I read the first half of the sentence and then grumbled when I learned it was… NOT IN THE US.

I’m going to try the chilaquiles one day at Yagul to see if they scratch the itch…

5 Likes

It’s not very far from the US.

But still not as close as Yagul in Santa Monica. :wink: ::snort::

1 Like

Piping hot apple fritter from Oliboli.

20 Likes