July 2023 Rundown

I’ve had the tacos at the Anaheim location and I thought the meat was pretty good.

An Anaheim chile pepper with cheese is good on everything lol so that taco or burrito would be up my alley

3 Likes

On the menu in HP it’s written as Ahm’Taco, and when I went for the first time I assumed it was some regional specialty I hadn’t heard of and ordered it phonetically (one aamtaco please) like a total doofus. Did not realize it’s just an abbreviation of Anaheim. Really good taco tho!

1 Like

They are expanding rapidly. Fullerton, Buena Park, HP. Good smokey char grilled meats and a good salsa bar.

2 Likes

Uptown Provisions (Whittier)

Their weekend special was a fresh focaccia sandwich with mortadella, stracciatella, house made pistachio pesto, arugula, Calabrian chile and house pickled onions. It was giant. I split it and was comfortably full.

I also cleared their supply of Jeni’s Frosé minis.

9 Likes

I saw Matsumoto peaches (I think) at Eataly in Century City this weekend, for future reference.

3 Likes

I think Arisu might be one of our go to places for Korean BBQ. The meat quality is up there with anybody. Prices seem to be in line with Yangmani, Park’s, Baekjong. The service is very good. Ban chan is sparse but what they do offer is pretty good. The temperature of the restaurant yesterday at 5pm with every grill around up cranking was something else. It was like eating Korean BBQ in a sauna. I might have lost the same amount of weight in sweat as I gained in smoked meats.

8 Likes

Nice!!!

Hi @js76wisco - Looks like there was a Ktown location that is “permanently closed” Is this in Buena Park? Thanks.

yes across the street from the Source on Beach Blvd

1 Like

Foodshutterbug’s 2nd annual 626 Summer Run

Did 4 bangs the same day in July 2023 - one less than last year.

Will provide more food deets in individual threads later.

Started on a Saturday in July 2023 at 11:30am

Stop #1

Pre lunch appetizers at

Tasty Box HK Bistro, Diamond Bar. I only had dimsum, but hoping to go back for char siu rice plates during late fall or early winter.

Verdict: :+1: :+1::+1::+1: 4/5

Stop #2

Eat Joy Food - Taiwanese in Rowland Heights

Lunch with SGV friends I hadn’t seen since May 2022.

Verdict: :+1: :+1::+1::+1::+1: 5/5

Can’t wait to go back for more.

Still thinking about the taste of the pickled Cordia seeds accompanying the steamed black cod :yum:

Stop #3

Sheng Hui Dim Sim in West Covina

Items ordered to go:

-Steamed char siu bao
-Tofu skin roll (not pictured)
-BBQ pork crisp
-Steamed egg yolk bun

Verdict: :+1: :+1::+1: 3/5

Honestly, I prefer Hong Kong Dim Sum House in San Gabriel, another mom-and-pop shop for to-go, but if I’m in the area, I’ll go for the BBQ pork crisp (pastry) - meat is not of premium quality, but it’s all about the crumbly cookie crust encasing the diced charsiu pork. The woman working Sheng Hui’s register strongly and proudly recommended this and I’m sure glad she did!

I feel about this the way I felt about pop rocks as a kid - I know I shouldn’t, but it’s a fun junky snack to have once in a while :wink:

Stop #4

Thuan Fat El Monte Superstore

After being unsuccessful in trying to find Koon Chun thin soy sauce at 99 Ranch markets in SGV, Gardena and Van Nuys for the last 2 years, I finally scored a bottle here.

I was so excited and happy about this! It might not be the best soy sauce, but while living in San Francisco for over 3 decades, the Chinatown Hong Kong Cantonese shopkeepers always promoted Koon Chun products as the best.

Finished 626 run around 4:30p and then headed back to WLA/SaMo.

PS: Stop #5 was supposed to be Big Softee in MP, but was saddened :broken_heart: to learn they permanently closed. Loved the black sesame and ginger soft serve twist ice creams I had there last in Summer 2022.

11 Likes

They have a location in El Monte, too. Food quality seems similar and without the crazy parking at the SG location.

Off-topic, but didn’t Mitsubishi make a Cordia?

2 Likes

Yes! That’s a past from the past…

2 Likes

@Wakko11 Didn’t know HKDS recently opened a 2nd branch, thanks for intel! :pray::yum:

@paranoidgarliclover Appreciate the car article - saved me a Google search’cuz I had no idea Cordia was a :blue_car: :joy:

Did you ever try Comedor Tenchita?

I need this so bad. My problem is it is once a week so I would want to order the whole damn menu. Do you know any other backyard weekend comedor?

I feel like these backyard comedor quite possibly have the best Mexican food(non-tacos) in LA.

Basically abuela/tia making you a full on home cooked meal.

4 Likes

This could be a hot take

The best tacos are street stands and trucks. Why pay for a brick and mortar when you can make great tacos at a street stand? Backyard comedor’s don’t need to pay commercial rent and all the stuff that entails.

I only been to 106 Underground and Poncho’s. Those are some of the best Mexican food I had in LA. Drive thru the weekends in South Central, East LA/Boyle, SELA in the residential neighborhoods you see signs. I am sure there are word of mouth places I’ll never find out because I don’t live in the neighborhood and I am an outsider.

Could this become a trend that will eventually see a big loss in the amount of Mexican brick and mortars? Maybe not a complete loss.

3 Likes

I’m with you most of my favorite tacos in the city are all from street/truck vendors. However, fish tacos and ceviche seem to be an exception to that rule.

2 Likes

No – sadly I have not been able to make it yet! The once a week schedule makes it easy to miss opportunities. I think about going pretty often, just haven’t made it happen.

I don’t know any others that are currently running. I think a few others popped up during the pandemic, but I don’t recall seeing any activity from them on IG in the past year or more. Not even sure I can recall what they were named!

1 Like

I went a while ago and thought it was really awesome! Got barbacoa, empanadas, mole, and higaditos. The moles were a highlight, not sure I totally got the higaditos but they were definitely interesting, might be more exciting to people with emotional/nostalgic attachments to the dish. It was also a super fun experience in general, great setting and vibes and also tepache. Would have been back by now but it’s a hike and sundays are always kinda packed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback I will have to make a visit soon!

Not a comedor but a backyard carnitas spot

Carnitas Manriquez
(424) 396-8490
https://goo.gl/maps/KJDoe4aqpCwd6zCt5

2 Likes