Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

If you want cheap check out Longs Family Pastry, they got snow mountain char siu bao and Big Chicken Bao (Dai Gai Bao…chicken, mushroom, Chinese sausage, and a egg)

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I don’t think I’ve ever been there but my family had been a life long supporter of Won Kok lol. How are their stuff?

My mom used to work DTLA and all her Canto friends would get a box of Dai Bao’s and snow mountain char siu bao. A Dai Bao makes a quick easy breakfast. The snow mountains can sell out if you go too late especially when @J_L treats the office. Its blue collar. I have a soft spot for Chinese bakeries though.

Have you been back to Hong Kong Cafe for those rice rolls?

2 Likes

I went there in the early days of the lockdown and got my usual milk tea and cheong fun. Now I’m craving them again! I have yet to discover another place in SGV that can replicate their cheong fun…

2 Likes

@JLee With your Sorrowful Rice’s success, perhaps it’s time to tackle your next project?

The famous “Exploding Pissing Beef Ball”!

They even heal patients with anorexia.

4 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: those expressions :joy:

1 Like

Sounds lovely.

It was when I was growing up (always in the cupboard) but for making fudge, brittles, baking and stuff.

1 Like

You’re talking about the people who invented Campbell’s Soup, TV Dinners and Minute Rice. Angelenos aren’t the rest of ‘Murica. :grin:

1 Like

That extra bit of milk fat comes in handy.

1 Like

Apparently we don’t get enough salt and cholesterol and have been doing it wrong

Salted egg yolk stuffed char siu. Apparently it’s been a thing in Hong Kong and Southern China…

The new mooncakes!

9 Likes

I love char siu. I love salted egg yolks. I’d eat that.

1 Like

Yes, pork & eggs! And I like Thit Tho Kau too even though it’s a different item altogether! By the way, Thit Tho Kau is heavenly and divine paired with ~9+ year aged Alsace Grand Cru Riesling…

4 Likes

That would pair so well with an Atorvastatin 80mg…

(Stat.)

6 Likes

Hopefully thit kho coming soon

1 Like

There are probably worse ways to go?

1 Like

F-ing Funny.

Sorrowful rice only gives me joy.
Chef @JLee and his team never cease to amaze me. It’s possible that I may have gotten a couple of the last ones available today. That char siu cap is so tender, moist, and tasty. The yolky fried egg oozing and mixing with the sauce beckons another childhood memory…I used to love bathing my rice in the extra char siu sauce my Mom would get from Duong Son BBQ in Little Saigon. There’s something so powerful in food that can evoke memories like that.
Thanks to the many folks who may have inspired one of FTC’s favorite chefs!

12 Likes

I thought it’s not available till next week when it was sold on yesterday??? Or is 10 available everyday on weekends??