Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

Awww… thanks @euno. :slightly_smiling_face: Because of the luscious fattiness you could totally go harder on the crispy and not sacrifice the tender meat. And don’t worry about it being too much… it’s the gift that keeps on giving. They give you a lot of rice and I used the leftover Char Siu & Vegan Lettuce Cup filling (including hoisin sauce) to make Fried Rice. Do I dare post it on this pro thread? Ohhh… why not?

Added Chicken Breasts lightly poached in Stock & Chicken Soup Crystals, only had a couple Eggs. It was yummy.

11 Likes

Gorgeous looking dish.

1 Like

Thanks!

did you save some for me though :rofl: :rofl:

it looks amazing!!

1 Like

I hope fellow FTCers got in on this!

3 Likes

I think a fellow ftcer just ordered the last one

5 Likes

Username checks out lol

Porkybelly eating char siu pork belly

5 Likes

Leftovers into fried rice is one of the most Chinese things you can do

3 Likes

Good, because I just pre-over-ordered at PRD. I hope the Char Siu is as lusciously fatty… it makes great Fried Rice.

2 Likes

The name of this thread is then even more apropos: FTC is literally keeping Cantonese cooking alive.

10 Likes

This was absolutely delicious, fatty, meaty, and juicy, with a great balance of sweet and savory. You can really taste the quality of the pork.
Thanks to @moonboy403 and @TheCookie’s tip, I charred the shit out of this. I broiled it for about 5 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other and cut it extra thick. Loved the crispy burned ends that produced. Is there a competition for top reheater?
Best char siu I’ve had in the city @NYCtoLA, @attran99, @euno, @Chowseeker1999, @JeetKuneBao, @J_L, @butteredwaffles, @A5KOBE

almond jello, orange, nectarine, mango, pluot, goji berry, lychee jelly
Perfect light and refreshing ending

23 Likes

Damn! Nice dinner and dessert Porky!!

Which do you prefer, the belly or shoulder?

2 Likes

Great job!!! :drooling_face: Looks like you got a rice upgrade too. :wink:

2 Likes

Now that you’ve had a taste of THICCC char siu, you simply can’t go back. It’s a different experience altogether.

Being such a fatty cut, it can take on lots of heavenly char. Cancer be damned!

3 Likes

10th heart.

I’m aging mine. #porkyzuke

5 Likes

Goes great with tamaki gold.

3 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly. Hearing how yours turned out, I think following the instructions exactly was a mistake. Ours was disappointing with still too much connective tissue and chewiness. :frowning: I think I need to cook it longer and char it more.

That being said, I think Needle’s OG Pork Shoulder Char Siu achieved everything we’re looking for in a great Char Siu, but without excessive fattiness (but somehow it was still super tender and “fatty” enough).

3 Likes

Oh man that looks good!

In general I prefer the meatier and tender shoulder, but as @moonboy403 pointed out, in this case, the higher quality of the snake river farms pork belly and flavor, over what he was using before, won out.

4 Likes

i’m getting the feeling it’s not just us chickens here…

4 Likes