L.A.'s New Weekly, Outdoor, Semi-Permananent(?), Organized Food Festival - Smorgasburg [Thoughts + Pics]

Looking forward to your report (incl how crowded it is, for the more paranoid among us…). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn Ugly Drum Pastrami is not at Smorgasburg anymore

1 Like

https://www.goldbelly.com/ugly-drum

Keep an eye out here.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty disappointing.

if they’re there (sometimes next to evilcooks), the tepache from todo verde

i’ve never seen it extremely crowded - the worst lines are maybe ~10 people deep. they have a tented area with benches where the Downtown Market pin is, but the better option is to go to the circled parallel section of the Row, where theres plenty of chairs and tables

2 Likes

I really liked The Bad Jew if you are looking for a pastrami-ish fix.

4 Likes

Of your list, really like Bridgetown and goat mafia.

We always enjoy anarchy seafood. Holy basil is probably better at the restaurant.

4 Likes

wonder if something is going on. There’s nothing on Goldbelly either. on IG they were selling some equipment too.

Be interested to hear how the lines are.
My last visit - summer of '21 - the lines made me swear never to return.

I’ll try and remember to take pics of the lines and crowd.

Thanks for all the recs, everyone!

2 Likes

Your list covers my recs. Macheen, Saucy Chick, Bridgetown Roti, and Evil Cooks. I think Evil Cooks has offers its octopus tacos on the weekend.

1 Like

Great! I’m still trying to find an octopus taco here that I love as much as my favorite one down in Chula Vista.

1 Like

I had a really good time today. Though we did get there a lot later than we planned to so a lot of the stalls were either sold out of certain dishes or were done for the day.

Evil Cooks

The Poseidon (octopus al pastor, salsa tatemada, pickled onions, cilantro, guacamole, pineapple):

Megadeth Torta (black pastor, chorizo, cheese, bacon):

Jolly Oyster

1/2 Kumamotos and 1/2 Pacifics (Laguna Bay):

Bridgetown Roti

Red Pepper Goat Roti (smoked goat shoulder, roasted peanut sauce, fried Weiser Farms potatos, turmeric spiced slaw, cilantro, scallions) and pineapple habanero salsa:

The Goat Mafia

Birria de chivo and cochinita pibil tacos:

I was really sad that Bungkus Bagus had already sold out of everything by the time we got there, but they were selling jars of their Sambal Goreng so I had to buy one. It is so fucking good. And perfectly spicy. I was snacking on it in the car and then I got home and I dumped some of it into leftover queso from Chipotle and it was great! :grin:

20 Likes

goes great on pizza too :heart:

how were the crowds?

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try it with pizza next time.

Oops, forgot crowd shots.

It was somewhat crowded, but there was enough room to move around or eat without being too close to other people. But we did get there at around 2pm, so it might have been more crowded earlier in the day.

8 Likes

Got some boxes of Burritos La Palma’s frozen birria burritos to take home last Sunday and that was a great decision on my part. It also comes with their salsa, which was a little watery after defrosting but was fine after I strained it a bit.

10 Likes

I love those!! You can also pick them up at Sara’s Market or through Locale. What I do is heat them up on a cast iron skillet. SO GOOD. Great for when you want a quick meal in.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m gonna do that with my next box. These I just threw in the microwave because I was feeling lazy. Still really good, though!

1 Like

Looks like they opened a brick & mortar in Agoura in a strip next to that Whizin Market on the road that runs along the freeway on the south side.

1 Like

New Smorgasburg vendors:

Excited to see Battambong BBQ among them. I’ve only had a chance to try his food once but I’d like the opportunity again

4 Likes