LA Restaurant Hot Takes

If quality of food was all that mattered then I believe that half the restaurants that are open now should be closed and half the ones that have closed should still be open but the business doesn’t quite work that way in America.

2 Likes

Talesai at least off sunset is no longer there. In its place they have a section of the menu dedicated to talesai favorites.

1 Like

I know. It’s called Night Market and it’s in the same place where his parents had Telesai so i playfully called it Telesai to identify the location i am talking about. I like that location a lot

1 Like

I haven’t been in over a year but l loved the W. Hollywood locale and it was still pretty spicy. Good Happy Hour! I can’t remember, isn’t or wasn’t the Talesai sign still up along with the neon Night + Market in the window?

Okay found it. Thanks KevinEats.

Not so keen on Shunji. They scope you out to see if they ought to whip out the honwasabi.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never seen seiyo-wasabi served there.

3 Likes

It’s because everyone has a small bowl of reconstituted powdered wasabi on their mise en place. I happened to catch my chef wetting down the powder before he put it on his board.

1 Like

Now I need to learn more about wasabi.

1 Like

Chicago French food is better than LA’s. It’s a warm take

That reminds me, I need to try Pasjoli.

Does that even count as a warm take?other than pasjoli & Ludo is anyone doing anything of note French in LA

1 Like

Pastries.

Well, it is a pop-up “supper club” rather than a restaurant but there is Laurent Quenioux’s LQ “foodings” and, down in Orange County, Knife Pleat and Marche Moderne are both excellent. I have not yet been but have heard good things about the new Bon Temps in DTLA.

Its not much, but Republique has a great cassoulet on their seasonal menu.

7 Likes

Looks like spa cuisine. Not much, indeed.

1 Like

nigiri at sushi gen in lil tokyo is pretty bad

1 Like

Never having eaten at a spa I may be wrong, but I wouldn’t think that duck confit, and blood sausage would be high on that type of menu.

3 Likes

Bon Temps.

Seems like a short list compared to Chicago

1 Like