LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Usually, I order a cake with potato balls and cheese rolls. I tend to like the party-sized ones because they’re smaller and easier for people to eat.

+1

My Hakushu, Yamazaki, Nikka & Hibiki age statement hoarding was courtesy of Costco!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::metal::metal::metal::metal:

& Diaego annual special releases on fire sale :laughing:

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. I think folks (including me) get more excited by the idea of Porto’s than the actual offerings. I like the Guava & the Cheese Strudel, but not sure I’d drive across town for them. BUT! I had the Milk & Berry Cake last weekend and it was so good. :hearts: The strawberries were fine but the cake, custard & cream were lite, moist, creamy & delicious (not too sweet at all).

1 Like

Hi @Gr8pimpin - I scored this from a birthday party recently. Everyone went for the frouffy, fancy cake and this was left standing, so. :partying_face:

Chocolatey, moist, fudgey ganache and, yes, gritty smooth sugar frosting. This is one of my favorite chocolate cakes. Tastes like grandma made… just not my grandma. :nail_care:

8 Likes

Instacart delivers Costco… and you don’t have to be a member.

1 Like

Now THAT’S EXACTLY what I talking about!!! YUM!!!

2 Likes

Lol @Gr8pimpin. It’s sooo good. I don’t like the old-school crisco thing which is why I don’t like Hansen’s anymore - they started taking it to a new level where that’s all you taste. I’m sure Bea’s probably uses it but it’s barely detectable, especially in the chocolate. :hearts:

1 Like

Yeah, I stop people who start singing the praises of Costco to me. It’s not that I don’t like them, but we don’t have one close enough to be worth it. We settle for Smart & Final over here - a pale comparison.

Someone up above said the shipping mark-ups make the costco savings not worth it?

Instacart and Costco delivery are 2 separate things

3 Likes

I’ve only used it once, and I don’t remember it being that bad. I thought the post above was referring to Costco doing the delivery as opposed to Instacart, but I could be wrong.

I actually don’t either. I do like buttercream. Bea’s says theirs is buttercream, is it common to add shortening to a “buttercream” frosting or is it just butter?

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s common at every bakery, but last time I had Hansen’s cake with buttercream frosting it tasted like crisco and sugar. This was years ago, though.

1 Like

Costco delivery is free for orders of $250 or more. There’s a $25 surcharge for orders under $250 and a $10 delivery charge for orders under $100. Online prices are sometimes higher than in the store.

2 Likes

That B true. Also, I dont even really eat turkey, but their roast turkey (same place as the cooked chicken is incredible). I bought it to mix in my dog’s kibble and now make him share.

1 Like

Sugarfish is the highest QPR sushi you can get under $50, excluding Kazu Nori.

2 Likes

Yep. The Nozawa consortium have the most buying power at the wholesale fish market level. And luckily, they do care about preserving consistency within their brand, so they’re not afraid to use it.

1 Like

Naaa. Noshi

1 Like

Sugarfish has also committed to keeping on all 600 of their employees during the pandemic.

8 Likes