LA Restaurant Hot Takes

I can see Guisados not being anything special if you grew up in a Mexican household. Not even fondas will have the variety of stews that Guisados have. Armando has basically recreated the meal of going to your Abuelas or Tias house without the rice and beans. That’s pretty unique imo for an outsider

5 Likes

We are die hard Tire Shop Taqueria fans here on LA FTC when it comes to asada. 1986 seemed great when it first started and Joy was the one making the tacos.

12 Likes

I love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

100%. 1986 seems to rise and fall on Joy’s hand.

2 Likes

The move at Guisados is the sampler (with smaller tortillas). Otherwise the tortilla to filling ratio is off.

2 Likes

the risk of the sampler is getting 5 tacos one doesn’t like

1 Like

You can ask for the ones you like (including the pro move, mini quesadilla)!

4 Likes

Beautiful, make it his/her/they signature.

tire shop is #1 no matter what

1986 is pretty damn serviceable to this day, but the OG days on Ktown were godly with joy trompo-ing

7 Likes

Agree.

1 Like

100%…
and also the move to gas from charcoal killed the joy for me

5 Likes

even better when they were on Highland by Salt’s Cure :wink:

1 Like

Mexicali suffered the same fate way back when.

Mexicali is very good right now. It dipped a tad but been going back these days and it’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Warrior: Borneo Kalimantan is a solid restaurant. I had a fine lunch there today. I would recommend it for lunch in Alhambra. But truthfully, I wasn’t impressed by the laksa. Perhaps it’s neither fair nor helpful to say that their laksa (Singaporean style) isn’t as good as the laksa in Singapore, but that is how I feel. It was just too thin and lacking flavor, and the main ingredients (e.g., sad little shrimp) were unimpressive. I liked the chicken satay more.

1 Like

We love Guisados, especially their quesadilla. And super different 1986.

1 Like

Warrior: the best rice dish in LA is seafood bibimbap at Gamja Bawi in the Koreatown Plaza food court. This is actually one of the best overall Korean restaurants in LA, despite the basic banchan.

1 Like

I’m intrigued. Is that served in a hot stone bowl?

1 Like

Warrior: yes. And it forms a terrific “socarrat,” where you control the level with your stirring. I do recommend stirring up the bottom within about 30 seconds of bringing it to your table, because otherwise the bottom gets too burnt. After that first stir, there is more flexibility. There is a bit of an art to the stirring.

1 Like

Warrior: Let me show another great dish at this food court restaurant Gamja Bawi. It is called maewoontang sujaebi. Rough translation: spicy soup with dough chunks. The main ingredient is black cod. I thought the flavors and textures were spot on. This dish was completely satisfying and comforting. If I were served this at Soban or Shiku or whatever place you want to name, I would be happy. I actually liked it more than the black cod dish that Shiku used to have (though Majordomo used to have a thicker black cod stew that I found superior). The rice was great too—good flavor and perfect consistency for my tastes (a little firmer than most places). Obviously, the banchan are dinky. That’s my only criticism.

3 Likes