LA Restaurant Hot Takes

If we are still talking donkey meat, that stuff is delicious.

1 Like

@Nemroz

The machaca breakfast plate at Frank’s is pretty damn good and great QPR imo.

1 Like

The USC Trejo’s is much better than the La Brea one.

now look at what yall made me do?! chorizo joint from Frank’s . light papas… i’m enjoying this not being very salty.

3 Likes

Wait… I can not tell you how many times I’ve passed this place and have never given it much thought… and now you sez they have Machaca… Guess I know what’s for breakfast Sunday! Thanks! :slight_smile:

What do you order there? Honestly I’ve askewed it based on the ‘meh’ breakfast burrito and their showings at taco festivals. They also have one at the Farmers Market and I’m like there every week…

1 Like

I doubt that. That’s church day

Oh drat! They are closed that day… Ironically… that is exactly why I am in the neighborhood for breakfast. Well… I guess it’s back to breakie at Eleven City Deli…

I’m not a fan of trejos…Expensive and bad QPR…With so many good Mexican spots in LA, why go to an expensive tourist trap chain?

2 Likes

Unless you go a place every week and are kinda stuck there with the options they have. Not to say the options at the Farmers Market are all that terrible… but variety is nice too…

2 Likes

Frank’s is across the street. Trejo’s is not acceptible (not that ive tried) Just get some parathas at singapore leaf .

…the move with breakfast burritos is to eat half for breakfast and half for lunch. (this is my first time exersizing this level of godly restraint)

Come across the street and eat! jk… plotting a dim sum visit

I’ve been several times for happy hour tacos and quesadillas, and they were really good. Everything was fresh and tons of flavor, even the vegan food. Salsas were good too!

2 Likes

I don’t love Trejo’s Tacos but I don’t begrudge what he’s trying to do. I mean, he’s a native son of LA and he clearly knows good Mexican food but he wanted to open up something a little different. While I agree the QPR isn’t great (and certainly way more expensive than a lot of traditional Mexican places) it’s still pretty affordable so it doesn’t strike me as a money grab.

Plus, when I saw him in a food panel he mentioned that he put gluten free options on the menu because a doctor told him gluten wasn’t good for people on the spectrum. Health claims aside, I thought it spoke well of him to even consider that kind of inclusivity for the menu.

5 Likes

Sounds good! I’ll have to try their Quesadilla! And when I agree to meet weekly with a group all the way across town on a weeknight at the Farmers Market where parking and even a small plate of “meh” Roti Canali is going to set me back $20+… I am not in not playing the QPR game. I am playing the feedme at least something decent and quick so I make most of limited time enjoying the company of my peeps.

1 Like

Good posts.

When we finally broke down and ate at Trejo’s La Brea (walking distance) we were pleasantly surprised, and the vegetarians loved it. It was especially up my alley because I’m not really a grilled meat taco gal, which mostly leaves me out of the street taco game. I’m more of a guisado-style and a definite mariscos gal. Trejo’s doesn’t offer much in that way but I like the variety and what he’s trying to do. My problem is they tweak the menu & recipes too much and consistency is poor. I miss the discontinued :hot_pepper::fire: chicken wings! And takeout is abysmal, like they don’t care because they don’t have to look at you… hence the brown avocado. That’s when the QPR is bothersome and it’s hard to recommend. We were also bummed when they replaced Loteria! Grill at the Farmers Market. Can Trejo’s really be the only Mexican food offering at the LA Farmers Market? But I get it, tourists probably love it and we want the FM to survive. See? Told you I had more than a few things to say about Trejo’s. I’m actually surprised there was this long a discussion on FTC. @nemroz is probably ready to blow a head gasket. But Danny is a native son, so. :wink:

P.S. I have never found anything at Singapore Leaf to write home about. The flavors are kinda’ muted & subdued… to me anyway.

4 Likes

What’s a better Indonesian or Malaysian place around? You don’t like the laksa with fish cake and the paratha? Kick it up with the green hit sauce at the tables.

I miss Malaysian and Indonesian in Boston. LA is lacking

1 Like

Simpang in Palms is probably the best bet.

Haven’t been to Kasih in Downtown but I heard some good things.

3 Likes

I miss the market they had

1 Like

Okay, I’ll try it one more time.