Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

The #65 is fantastic. Pure indulgence, just barely tempered with a slices of tomato.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I had the chopped liver once and it was good, though since I can’t remember I’m not sure of that. Definitely not as good as Saul’s in Berkeley, which set the bar for me (with the exception of some homemade).

1 Like

That is high praise, I may bite the bullet and try it although these days I just can’t not order the #54.

3 Likes
  • #65 – Hot Pastrami with Cream Cheese and Sliced Tomato
    I’m a “purist” and only order pastrami or corned beef on rye with a little bit of deli mustard. Maybe I’m stubborn and missing out on the #19 but this is too much. Where does the madness end?

https://www.langersdeli.com/tag/pastrami-chili-cheese-fries/

1 Like

I have found Langer’s chopped liver to be consistently excellent.

2 Likes

Curious if they use mayo in their chopped liver? Something a LOT of delis here do to cut corners.

Such a goyishe kop move, IMHO (no offense intended, I never get to use classic yiddish phrases)

4 Likes

mayo in chopped liver?

no.

the best chopped liver is, of course, my mother’s which is HER mother’s, etc… Chicken livers ONLY. Onions should still have a little zip to them. don’t take them french onion soup dark. Not all of 'em, anyway. Hard boiled eggs fed straight into the meat grinder as filler/buffer.

I haven’t tried Langer’s. Them being closed on Sundays (what kind of Jewish deli closes on sunday?) has managed to sabotage more than one attempted visit.

Canter’s chopped liver is nasty.

4 Likes

I’m skeptical that there’s not also schmaltz. Otherwise I don’t know what would hold it together.

3 Likes

schmaltz + eggs are the way to go imo.

3 Likes

AB-SO-LUTELY!!!

1 Like

mine’s pretty good too…lol

2 Likes

I used to get the pastrami and chopped liver and add a sunny side up egg. Pure decadence and a tad messy. But yes, the chopped liver has always been very good and so silky smooth.

4 Likes

I miss my moms and grandmas :cry: .

My mom had a grinder that was attached to an old stand mixer. It was from the 60s. Like an iron KitchenAid . Talk about durability and power.

She used it for chopped liver and filling for her kreplach.

But aside from the eggs and schmaltz, I remember her grind was not too fine. Personally, I’m not a fan when chopped liver is too smooth.

It’s called chopped liver, :wink: not puréed liver. LOL

7 Likes

me either-- I like it on the coarse side with the schmaltz holding all the elements together…

5 Likes

I’m a schmaltz licker.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed pastrami with chopped liver many times, but the egg thing is unique. Where did that come from? It reminds me of the first time I ordered a burger at McDonalds in Kowloon.

1 Like

I honestly saw someone order it at the table next to me and it looks delicious and I was starving so that was how the was introduced.

1 Like

That ought to come with macaroni salad and two scoops of rice.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Langer’s pastrami