Lawry's BH

… a strong statement, between-the-lines.

Old money isn’t wearing shorts at Lawry’s.

2 Likes

creamed corn

True that. Old folks with money are wearing shorts t Lawry’s…

1 Like

Complimentary eats are still available on weekdays.

1 Like

As mentioned, Lawry’s BH is very popular with tourists. As most current tourists visiting the White House do not wear button down shirt, slacks and proper shoe, it is not surprising that similar lack of decorum are common among Lawry’s BH’s patrons.

Old hollywood dudes name Sherman are def wearing shorts to Lawry’s

Do non tourists go to Lawry’s? I don’t know anyone that does.

It is very, very popular with some non-tourist local communities for BIG LIFE EVENTS.
None of the communities I belong to.

Growing up my grandpa used to take the family to Lawry’s for BIG LIFE EVENTS like @CiaoBob mentioned. I haven’t been back since his passing over 10 years ago, but I still remember it fondly and would like to return sometime soon.

3 Likes

Old Beverly Hills dudes love it. That prime rib is like fancy pastrami

1 Like

Plenty of locals return time after time. This past meal was to celebrate a couple of events. Nothing wrong with a decent piece of meat in a classic place every once in a while. I’ll probably end up there a couple more times before I die. (My last visit was at some point more than 15 years ago, and I don’t have any pressing plans to return. Nonetheless, parents were thrilled.) I’m also much more likely to return than to end up in a place where Thomas Keller gets another centavo out of me, save perhaps Ad Hoc.

2 Likes

I take that back. One of my best friends had his wedding catered by Lawry’s, so he and his wife go to Lawry’s every year to celebrate their anniversary.

A lot of Asian locals love the place.

As in 1st gen asians?

Done w/Lawry’s, the corporate vibe, the crowds, the parking, the heavy handed pitch to join the frequent diners’ club.

Saturday night special at the Arthur J is the current prime rib favorite. Order a gruyere popover if you want a sub for Lawry’s Yorkshire pudding.

Note: I have fond memories of my last meal at Tam o’Shanter [several years ago] so I won’t lump it in with my negative Lawry’s review.

Yeah, my last visit (and first visit in a loooooong time) was during DineLA. I totally get why people might love it, but it’s just a “no” for me. Nice (if archaic) service doesn’t make up for the food.

Man I don’t care what any of y’all say I could eat that spinning salad every day.

I’ll never understand their yorkshire pudding though.

1 Like

We went to Lawry’s in early November on a Saturday night for a birthday dinner. First off, when we drove up to the front of the restaurant, you’d of thought we were driving up to a three-ring circus or Disneyland. It was a zoo! People were milling about the steps and entrance to Lawry’s, very casually dressed, very touristy. The valet took our car and we pressed forward into the restaurant. We had to force our way through the throng inside the foyer to the reservationist, who noted and confirmed our 7 pm reservation.

So we had to wait standing up in the foyer for about 20 minutes before we were called, as the seating was all taken and the bar was full. It wasn’t an unpleasant experience, because we enjoyed people-watching the characters, especially the men in attire that was very very casual and a lot of shlub material. Finally we got our table and we were seated.

Once seated, dinner was solidly good, if not outstanding, as others have noted. Good prime rib, good spinning salad, good everything etc. etc. I must say, however, that the costumes worn by the waitresses reminded us of the ‘Handmaids Tale,’ which was both a bit fun and a bit creepy at the same time. But the serving staff could not have been friendlier and more accomodating. Because we tend to be aware of signs of restaurant management when we see it, we noticed a very stern-looking woman continuously waling around and surveying the room and talking into a device. After a while she passed by our table and we asked her what her role was and she said that she was monitoring the service, looking for service glitches, and noting any complaints the guests had. Of course we already knew that and we thanked her for her service and she carried on. We didn’t see any evidence of “Old Beverly Hills” money that night at Lawry’s, but we sure did see it the next at Spago (along with a celebrity sighting of Mario Batali, who was dining there with his entourage)!

It was a fun dining out weekend at both restaurants. But at Lawry’s, not exactly a fine dining experience, more of an entertaining experience with damn good food, but not the experience we remembered about five years ago when it was less like an amusement park.

3 Likes

amusing read… 5 yrs ago is about the last time we’ve been also.