Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Buy me some.

Do you people know about Task Rabbit? You can pay someone to stand in the line for you for like $20…

used to be quite the popular option at austin bbq joints.
now banned.

don’t know about l.a.

1 Like

They banned in Austin because some kid was always at the front of the line at Franklin and sold all of the BBQ to people via a website lol

Task Rabbit at least requires people to stand in line on an individual basis.

1 Like

Update 3:

Had a craving for more awesome Fried Chicken so we had to stop by again this weekend. :slight_smile:

Corn & Black Bean Salad:

Today’s Market Side (there were 2), was Corn and Black Bean Salad. Chef Zone is definitely showing off some prowess with his Market Sides, as they aren’t simply afterthoughts. Instead, this is yet another excellent daily side dish: The Black Beans add a heartiness to the Salad and then Corn is sweet and a great balance. A bit of fresh Lime adds a citrusy note, and this is a great match for the Fried Chicken.

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Country” Style (No Heat), Level 1:

Great news: Howlin’ Ray’s has been only improving, they are making their Fried Chicken in smaller and smaller batches, so it was crispy and piping hot! Crunchy, crisp outer crust, juicy, well-seasoned, savory Chicken Breast inside! Delicious! :blush:

Fried Chicken Wings (3), “Mild” Style (Brush of Heat), Level 2:

Mild (Level 2) was perfect for just a touch of spiciness to the already delicious Fried Chicken. :slight_smile: I think I just love their traditional, pure Fried Chicken the most, but if I want a little bit of heat, I’d go with Mild (Level 2) or Medium (Level 3). They were juicy, crispy on the outside, great stuff! :slight_smile:

Pork & Beans (Market Side 2):

Chef Zone actually had 2 Market Sides today (usually there’s just 1), and initially I was thinking, “Baked Beans? No thanks.” But talking with the front of the house, she mentioned their Beans weren’t the typical Sweet BBQ Beans one might be thinking of, so we ordered it.

So glad we did! These were AWESOME! Savory Beans with luscious chunks of Pork Belly! :open_mouth: These were seriously the best Pork & Beans I’ve ever had, but then again I’m no expert. They weren’t that overly sweet type you find in many Southern style restaurants. Just a great depth of seasoning and flavor and luscious! :slight_smile:

Note: I heard Chef Zone mention that their Level 6 Howlin’ (Max Heat Level) contains Trinidad Scorpion Peppers (known as the hottest chili pepper in the world, dethroning the Ghost Pepper a few years ago) as well as Ghost Peppers, Red Habenero and Carolina Reapers. Wow. :open_mouth:

Howlin’ Ray’s continues to rock. I can’t wait to go back. :slight_smile:

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

12 Likes

You are on a rip that makes Golden State look stale. I could see being happy with just the sides. These heat levels - how do they add them? Just wondering because if it’s a sauce or sauces, I’d prefer to have it on the side, or is that possible? Thanks

1 Like

Hi @bulavinaka,

The heat is applied by some kind of a magical liquid coating LOL. I think I see them give the Fried Chicken a quick mix in whatever Heat Level you request (it’s not dry).

I’ve never tried asking them for Hot Sauce on the side, but you might be able to. I think the flavor works best with them coating it, though.

But you should try their traditional Fried Chicken (Level 1, No Heat) which I think is their best, and try another piece with Level 2 or 3 and see what you think. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m on food duty for Wednesday’s game. Judging by the amount of posts. I guess you guys would pick Howlin’ Ray’s over Birdies?

Hi @TheCookie,

Absolutely. :slight_smile: Although I make no guarantees on how well the crispiness of Fried Chicken will hold up if you’re getting it To-Go and traveling a bit (condensation in the closed container will make most Fried stuff soggy).

Or at least you need to take a bite of the fresh Fried Chicken before you hit the road! :wink: You must try it fresh. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Chowseeker1999. Yeah, I was thinking about that. I might have to rethink fried chix. I’m going to my cousins in DTLA and was hoping it would be my chance to try Howlin’ Ray’s… Hmmm.

You should definitely try Howlin’ Ray’s. When i travel with fried food i put it on the passenger seat and open the container so the steam doesn’t collect. An added bonus is it’s easily accessible to the driver (me). I make no guarantees that the food won’t be eaten before arriving at your destination using this technique.

3 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

No matter what food you decide to get, definitely stop by Howlin’ Ray’s early and get some Fried Chicken for yourself at least! LOL :slight_smile: It is SO good.

@PorkyBelly’s method seems like it could work, but again, I encourage you to eat a piece of their Fried Chicken fresh out of the fryer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t say anything about these restaurants but great fried chicken does not have to be fresh and hot to be great.

@Chowseeker1999 @PorkyBelly - I do want to try it. I had a girlfriend coming in town, and previously enquired about the sides.@theoffalo said get the chicken and sides at Little Jewel. Well, she didn’t end up coming so…

@aaqjr - True. If it’s fried correctly it should still be good.

Hi @TheCookie,

What aaqjr says is true for those of us that enjoy cold / leftover Fried Chicken the following day / night. :wink: But I would argue like eating Cold / Leftover Pizza, that delight is different from the delight of eating freshly fried crispy, crunchy Fried Chicken. :slight_smile:

It’s just a different type of delight and tastiness.

So I’m sure the Fried Chicken will taste OK bringing it back from a To Go order, but I encourage you to sneak a piece for yourself at the restaurant while it’s fresh to enjoy its maximum tastiness. :slight_smile:

Cold fried chicken and fried chicken are totally different species of food stuffs.

Both might be good, but they’re really not substitutes for the other.

Sort of like cold pie versus fresh out-of-the-oven pie.

1 Like

Is this place still real crowded?

Yes

A friend of mine waited an hour and a half, but he went at around 1:30 on a Saturday. Not sure how accurate that is or just a bit of exaggeration.