Let's talk about pandan

almost nothing i know of on the west side. but a lot of vietnamese banh mi places typically offer a pandan sponge cake in slices or as a whole cake.

2 Likes

I love anything with pandan in it, and I love this entire thread.

Munch Bakery buko pandan macaron

PRD This may have been a one-time item (hopefully not) - pandan doufu fa

Coconut Jam from Baryo - I’ve been able to buy this directly from PRD the last few times
https://eatbaryo.ecwid.com/Coconut-Jam-p151590070

7 Likes

Let’s hope Chef Tony reopens in Pasadena so we can have their pandan pork buns.

8 Likes

Pandan waffles. Commonly found at Lees bakery and other assorted VN bakeries/banh mi shops

7 Likes

You have to go to the Bay Area for these pandan tarts at the Mainland owned H L Peninsula Pearl.Capture

11 Likes

Sapp Coffee Shop (Thai Town) offers an off-menu Pandan Leaf Drink which is wonderful (August 2020 link). There’s quite a bit of ice that comes with a standard order, so unless you like “slushee-style”, consider trying it “easy ice”.

10 Likes

Wow that Pandan leaf drink looks great! What a great find.

1 Like

@J_L pro-tip GYOP …

The straight pandan ice cream at Scoops near LACC is awesome. They don’t have it all the time, but they will make an ice cream cake in any flavor for a special occasion or just because.

So glad this thread was created. I love pandan!

6 Likes

7 Leaves the mung bean milk tea is infused with pandan (my usual is taro milk tea though)

Vietnamese “Che” (Dessert) places often have Pandan as well.

5 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Oh! I love Taro. Is 7 Leaves pretty good? and can you order Half / Light Sugar? (Their website says the Taro Milk Tea has 49 grams(!) of Sugar.) :open_mouth: :sweat_smile:

i tried ordering half sugar from them, but they say they can only do “less sugar”

so I order “less sugar” or “less sugar less ice” and let the ice melt a bit

it’s a very very sweet and flavorful drink, just like all their drinks, so best to let them water down a tad

Edit: I like their house iced coffee, same as above, i do “less sugar less ice”

Also you can try adding their sea cream/foam to the mung bean/pandan drink to add some savoriness.

2 Likes

If you do go to VP, they tend to make more (of everything) during the weekends, and it’s best to get there before noon time.

I usually go before 10am, but a few times I have gone after lunch… numerous items (esp pandan doufu fa and regular doufu fa) are sold out by noon

3 Likes

Had a last minute trip to Irvine, so made it to Van’s Bakery and picked up a slice of cake and a macaron. pandan flavor was quite subtle, but it did scratch that itch. Thank you @hanhgry

@A5KOBE just followed their IG and hoping pandan will pop up. Thanks for the tip!

10 Likes

I firmly blame @Sgee for this.

7 Likes

:joy: :joy:

OG Prep :point_down:

7 Likes

Binchotan. #JeetKuneBaoDreamsOfKopitiam

1 Like

How is it? Very curious about the salted caramel one. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a pandan/salted caramel and lime sambal order. :thinking:

How woild you compare Kopitiam (NY) vs the kopitiams in Malaysia/Singapore? The kaya toast, coffee, food items, and ambiance (probably lack of retired Uncles lounging around I am guessing lol) Does it scratch the itch? I am drooling over that charcoal grilled toast.

Its different than what I’m accustomed to. Perhaps regional differences… yes that must be it