Majordomo - Chinatown

I don’t remember seeing it back in September.

Really feel this. Paucity of vegetables on the menu is one of the reasons Majordomo is better with 4 or 6 than as a couple.

1 Like

You could probably get the yu choy with the yogurt etc. on the side.

1 Like

they had a meati crudite version of it in the spring, but it’s off the menu now.

the tomato dish that’s currently on the menu is nice.

when they’re in season they also have sugar snap peas with horseradish that’s very refreshing

9 Likes

the bounty bowl left before covid and never came back

2 Likes

i 100% agree with this. Every dish is pretty heavy and saucy at domo. I miss that crudite dish.

3 Likes

the new tuna carpaccio and fried bing with maple butter are very good.

tuna carpaccio, avocado, yuzu, sesame

grilled shrimp, jalapeño, garlic, lemon

grilled striped bass, sweet & sour, cucumber, orange

boiled chicken, rice, ginger scallion, hand torn noodles
always extra ginger scallion

fried bing - passion fruit, maple

love how this dessert mimics the smoked eggplant and pine nut bing

14 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: David Change: threat or menace?

There probably isn’t much I can add that hasn’t been said… I’ve actually never been a huge DC fan. Hated Noodle Bar, thought Milk Bar was way too sweet and decadent and Ma Peche was mediocre. All that said, I loved Majordomo and can’t wait to go back.

Had a pretty full meal but unfortunately missed dessert as I had to leave early (client event.)

1. oysters - fresh, great to slurp. not a fan of kimchi water. but can never complain about high quality oysters.
  2. tuna crudite - nothing special. Well executed. Good flavor. But crudite generally is a blah for me because it’s everywhere.
  3. gem lettuce salad - don’t know how to say this, but possibly the best leaves of lettuce I’ve ever had. Crisp, almost sweet, perfect texture and each leave seemed perfectly shaped. The saucing was a bit much for me, but perfectly fine for an appetizer salad
  4. crispy potatoes - hot damn. Possibly the best version of fried potatoes I’ve ever had. Crusty exterior, creamy interior. Spicy, flavorful… i would’ve ate a ton except the guy sitting next to me was a vegetarian so I let him clean the plate off. Must order next time I’m there
  5. snap peas - so good. perfectly blanched (?) snap peas. sweet, crisp and the horseradish added a wonderful spiciness. People at my table were picking them up with their fingers like edamame. I think I stealthily ate half the dish, lol.
  6. charred bok choy - yeah, it was fine. for a veggie. but it’s bok choy. that’s been charred. moving on.
  7. beef rib extravaganza - out came 3 massive ribs with a ton of meat still on them, with thinly shaved rib meat underneath. the shaved rib meat was smoky, unctuous, tender. And then for me and one other at the table, we went to town caveman style on the bones where you got hte sinew, gristle and tons of meat. I could eat this for days. And the best part is I didn’t even get to try the beef rice but I have two massive containers of it that I am planning to eat tomorrow.
  8. flatbreads - almost forgot about these. so good, so hot and fresh. with the eggplant, hummus and honey dips. I only had one flatbread but could have had 5.
  9. sea bass - didn’t even get to try it…

I could go back so many times just for the snap peas, flatbread, potatoes and beef rib. It’s like a steakhouse dinner but 10x better. Wouldn’t be cheap but it would be so worth it. I know DC is shutting down his restaurants like there is no tomorrow but I really hope this sticks around in LA!

12 Likes

try the iberico pork and crispy rice next time too.

1 Like

For sure! This was a VC event, so it was a set menu. But the food kept coming. I was looking forward to the meal but also skeptical given my experience at other DC restaurants. I cannot wait to come back with my family!

2 Likes

Try the bings with honey butter and whatever smoked pork ham product they have. I forget who suggested this on the board but it’s one hell of a bite.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, the honey butter was excellent. can only imagine how aamzing it would have been with the ham.

I came home with a bunch of the leftover shortrib dish. On the order of 10 - 15 slices of the rib and two large containers of the rice and beef. I thought I’d get at least a taste but my 13 and 16 yo devoured it. I’m curious as to the prep of the rice bc my 16 yo said “the rib slices were great but that rice… was something special. I can’t describe the seasoning but it was the best rice I’ve ever had.” I guess I’ll have to go back again some time to find out!

2 Likes

during the pandemic @attran99 and I got short ribs to go and the beef rice came with horseradish, sesame & perilla seeds, scallion, and lemon. horseradish is key because it’s so rich.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: “Chili Crunch” trademark brouhaha

First time back since before Covid.

Photo of the bing with hozon and sardines disappeared. Sounded weird but worked. Went well with the Roussanne. So now I guess one order is two bing?

Grilled shrimp were great.

Bok choy with crisp chickpeas was a nice foil.

Crispy rice with six kinds of mushrooms was really good. Would have preferred something meaty but wasn’t in the mood for mussels.

I was sharing tastes with my neighbors at the bar so got a slice of the zabuton. Sauce was good but the meat was pretty bland and very chewy, maybe should have been cooked a bit longer. If I’d ordered it I would probably have sent it back.

Also got to taste the crispy potatoes, which were excellent.

This Ruster was delicious, as was the pavlova, which I guess I neglected to take a photo of. I want to go back with a group and get the Major Donut, which is actually a bunch of flambéed beignets and ice cream.

At least that night the menu was less exciting than it used to be. I was disappointed there was no salsa seca dish. Glad I got to try the kakigori before they accepted economic reality and discontinued it.

5 Likes

I definitely agree - pre covid the food was more exciting. RIP kakigori

1 Like

The bartender told me that the kakigori machine required a dedicated person. Also if ten orders came in, it would take ages to get them all out, so the tables would get tied up.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C59QhaBOJqK

3 Likes