Majordomo - Chinatown

There are several episodes of his podcast specifically about Majordomo.

I never listen to podcasts but Iā€™m making an exception for his. The one with the Joe Beef guys is great.

Decisions. I want to try the more banana than banana dessert, but all this mulberry talk. :yum: @PorkyBelly? Did you have a preference? I know, I knowā€¦ OOE. But did you?

I love this board.

The only way to go if youā€™re a FTCer. :wink:

1 Like

Last fall, a guy was giving Shunji some Yuzu. Another reason the Los Angeles food community is awesome.

1 Like

Are you getting kickbacks?? :thinking:

1 Like

this would be the best answer: kakigori, banana, and berries. If I had to choose just one I would go with the currently in season mulberries and save the banana for next time.

2 Likes

I was gonna give Chef Go (Hayato) some of my backyard yuzuā€¦

4 Likes

Bartering for nigiri LOL.

2 Likes

We can get both!

2 Likes

Went again on Saturday night to celebrate Mothers Day. I think I found my new favorite bing - the spicy lamb. Great flavors with a good kick of spice. Tender delicious and just a hint of gamey flavor. The butter and honey is also still great.

The 45 day dry aged Holstein rib eye was good but would not order again at the price tag even though you get a side of the BS fries. The rib eye needed a little more salt. My wife and I both thought the 21 day dry aged NY from Bristol I cooked on Sunday had a better beefy flavor and the right amount of salt.

Still our favorite restaurant in LA. Great gin and tonic.

3 Likes

Yu Bo is coming to cook for lunch this coming sunday. Canā€™t wait to try his food. Been waiting for his restaurant to open

ā€œOn Sunday, May 19th, Majordomo will welcome special guest Chef Yu Bo of Yuā€™s Family Kitchen in Chengdu, China for a special lunch-time service. A limited number of special large format dishes will be served on a first come, first served basis. Reservations will not be accepted for lunch on this date.ā€

2 Likes

I was under the impression that beef from Holsteins (dairy cows) was some of the least preferable.
What is going on with all the restaurants selling Holstein lately (e.g. Majordomo, Shibumi)? Is this a recent development or am I just noticing it?

Are there new ranching practices that are leading to tastier Holstein?

I am seeing more Holsteinā€™s beef on menus. The steak was fine but again not something I would recommend ordering and certainly not something we would order again. For less than the price of that steak we could have ordered the duck with crispy rice, crispy pork belly and bing with a box of uni.

1 Like
3 Likes

We were there on Friday night and my kid could not get enough of the spicy lamb. If you donā€™t eat the chiles, itā€™s not spicy at all, just has a touch ma la from the sichuan peppercorns. He practically finished the whole thing himself. So, if you donā€™t like spicy, donā€™t be put off by the name. Itā€™s very flavorful and addicting.

I still favor the butter and honey. The mafaldine was incredible, but after 6 bings, it was too much. Didnā€™t stop me from finishing it and then moaning and groaning about how full I was. I am definitely going to need some more mental and physical training to reach FTC-master status!

6 Likes

Majordomo

The ladies of FTC had dinner at Majordomo Saturday night. Well, not all the ladies. Iā€™m thinking of starting a club. Open enrollment begins now. :wink: Anyway, like ladies do we each came bearing gifts - delicious wines and a gift from the heart.

Vignereuse Mayga Watt (pet-nat rose) 2017

Adastra Pinot Noir 2013

Homemade Preserved Lemons

We didnā€™t take a lot of pictures, because we were busy enjoying the evening. Plus, who can top the pictures already on this thread.

My plate from the Bounty Bowl w/sides of Koji Mascarpone, Domojang and a deliciously mineral Crunchy Salt (not shown)

The B.S. Fries are No B.S.

We could not stop eating these! :blush: Iā€™m not sure what all is going on with these. But they were perfectly fluffy, creamy on the inside, deep fried (probably in animal fat) crispy, crisp on the outside and a delicious sprinkle of salt (I think PB said chicken salt?). Theyā€™re perfect on their own, but the cheese sauce (raclette?) sends them to heaven. They werenā€™t offered alc, but I think our waiter started fearing for his safety, soā€¦

We also had Bing w/Cultured Butter & Honey / Duck Liver Mousse & Strawberry Jam / Diver Scallops w/Cucumber, Serrano & Yuzu / Crispy Duck Rice / Horchata Kakigori (shaved ice) w/a Rice Pudding Center.

Iā€™ll just talk a bit about the dish that brought us all together, thanks to @PorkyBelly. Roasted Duck Crispy Rice - Roasted Duck Breast, Duck Leg Confit, Crispy Rice, Citrus, Dates, Turnips, topped w/Smoked Duck Broth. :heart_eyes: This has such complex, but subtle layers of goodness. We even discovered these whole garlic cloves that had been pickled in a way that they only had a faint almost non-existent garlic flavor, but werenā€™t over-powered by the pickling. @attran99 & @Bookwich figured out that the slight sweetness in the rice actually came from date liquid, which is a common sweetening practice in Korean food. I may be describing this wrong and they can explain. I myself was obsessed with the perfect rice. I seriously analyzed it. Except for the crispy part not one grain stuck together! Not one! Itā€™s a fantastic dish!

I almost didnā€™t do a report. There have been so many. But this meetup was so serendipitous - @PorkyBelly gave the push, we jumped on it and @moonboy403 provided the table - I had to do one. Even the Preserved Lemons have a coincidental story, which Iā€™ll explain later on Home Cooking. Oh, and we had a fourth spot, so my husband came as a body guard. :wink:

Everything was great! Not one fail. But the company was the best part!

16 Likes

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the dinner!

3 Likes

I also might mention that Chef Chang needs a @J_L like Shunji-san. They were out of mulberries. :frowning: But we loved Kakigori all the same.

Thanks again!

1 Like