Majordomo - Chinatown

so you can still order them alc?

+1 on this question. CiaBob, did they let you order BS fries a la carte?

We ordered:
Bing with Spicy Lamb
Bing with Chickpea Hozon
Sliced Kanpachi
Tapioca Lo Mein
Whole Plate Short Rib
Glazed Carrots

Officially, the answer is no: we asked last night when ordering, and they said they weren’t offering them alc, anymore. But then, lo-and-behold, they appeared with the entrees. So, I guess it depends on the server and/or chef’s whims and/or how well you are “known” there. The friends we were with are fairly well known to the staff there, so I suspect that’s what happened.

1 Like

Bummer for all of us regular folk!

If your friends ever have an extra spot at their reservation, let me know and i’ll happily take it :slight_smile:

That’s odd. Was just there a week ago and the BS fries were available AC and ordered multiple times over, since they kept blowing everyone away.

Just a guess. But I would say maybe it’s a high labor cost item even at that high price they wanted to limit the amount they had to produce a night.

Has anyone here had the (pickled, I believe) Onion Rings?
We asked about them too - we even tried to pre-order them - but they weren’t doing them this weekend. Friends were a little nutso, telling us how great they are.

They used to come with the skirt steak but I haven’t seen them on the menu for almost a year. And yes, they’re fucking brilliant.

We had the onion rings with the skirt steak last June, they were great. I’m not sure they’ve ever had onion rings and fries on the menu on the same day.

http://foodtalkcentral.com/t/majordomo-chinatown/7056/495

you guys are awesome!

How is the duck liver mousse topping for the bing prepared? Is it actually a mousse (i.e., like a soft pate) or frozen and grated like the foie gras?

they’re both on the same menu that you just linked to.

yes

Ah, right you are.

There’s still a practical limit on how many deep-fried dishes they can offer on any given day. Currently I count four: stuffed peppers, potatoes with salsa seca, fried cauliflower, and fries. That old menu also had four: peppers, oxtail with salsa seca, onion rings, and fries.

I am no chef but the cauliflower did not seem deep fried to me, despite the menu it was more pan fried.

We had the crispy duck rice last night, it is an excellent dish.i would definitely order again. Maybe i can order it for myself when i dine solo.
We also had the Whole Plate ribs and i think it was a little overcooked. the flavor was still good though. The beef rice is still good, but they do not flash-fry the bones anymore.
BS Fries were said to be unavailable that night and the Pork and spicy pineapple bing is pretty great also

I have to say that Majordomo is really good at adding new items to their menu. It keeps me coming back and so far some of these new dishes have worked out really well.

5 Likes

I wish they would hurry up and add a new dish so i have another excuse to go back.

1 Like

Introducing Majordomo - Brunch/Lunch Edition. I gotta thank @PorkyBelly for inviting me to this lunch preview!

A very small menu

Blue Point Oysters | meyer lemon, bonito ponzu
Sweet, briny, creamy. The bonito ponzu added a hint of dashi-like note to the oysters.

Snow Crab Claws | yuzu mayo, chili sauce
Delicately sweet and meaty but they’re slightly overcooked so the texture is a touch chalky. The delightful accompanying condiments, on the other hand, pair well with the claws when used sparingly. We have mayo brightened up with refreshing yuzu and what seems to be a gochujang-like chili sauce amped up with toasted sesame seeds which added a little bit of smokiness and nutty notes.

Peel & Eat Shrimp | housemade cocktail sauce
These jumbo Tiger prawns(?) are a little mushy since they’re slightly overcooked as well but they’re still fat and juicy. Don’t forget to suck out its brains!

Seafood Cocktail | shrimp, mussels, clams, kanpachi, kimchi, avocado, saltines - highlight
This is a mighty fine dish once you brighten it up with a squeeze of lime. Each seafood component is perfectly cooked and their soft and snappy textures contrasts very well with the crunch of the raw zucchini and slightly marinated red onion slivers.

Fried Oysters | ssäm, kohlrabi - highlight
These fat pacific oysters are perfectly fried.

Hello finger food. Crunchy, creamy, mildly spicy.

Fried Chicken | pickles, bing rolls, ssäm, condiments
The legs and wings come pre-tossed with chili sauce while the breast pieces aren’t.

As you can see in the picture, the kitchen didn’t do a very good job of tossing the sauce evenly.

It’s an average fried chicken at best with its slightly crunchy batter. It’s not dry but it ain’t juicy either (think Pikunico fried chicken). What about the flavor? Again, it reminds me of gochujang.

Breast piece doesn’t look very promising either

Again, these ain’t dry but not very juicy either.

Bing roll uses the same batter base as their bings. It’s quite soft and fluffy even though it looks a little dense. Even though I like these rolls, there aren’t enough chicken, for a party of 3, to make a chicken sando since there aren’t any chicken left after we made our ssäm.

Harry’s Berries Strawberries
Plump, juicy, mildly sweet

Nice touch with the complimentary Majordomo tote bags

Thoughts? Lots of room for improvement but this is their first day of lunch service! On the other hand, I was secretly hoping that Majordomo brunch/lunch will serve a similar menu as the Ssam Bar in NYC which is much more fusion-y and creative…Oh well…

7 Likes

Y’all joining the DC PR side?

If only we didn’t have to pay…