March 2019 Weekend Rundown

Thanks, my Sari Sari order was completely inspired by your post(s)!

For the smoked fish, we got the kanpachi collar, sardines, and herbed gravlax. I enjoyed the kanpachi collar the most this time - the smoking differentiates it from the grilled collar you can get at izakayas. Only issue was that it’s a bit of work to eat - you have to use your fingers and pick out the meat from the bones (and there was a low meat to bone ratio).

1 Like

What did you feel was the problem with the pasta at Felix? I vaguely remember Jonathan Gold saying that he didn’t like the texture of the pasta,i think he said something like “Funke and i have a difference in opinion on what al dente means”

@Hungrydrunk For me, the pasta has two issues: one is that yes, it’s too al dente (and I swear I thought that before I read Gold’s review!). Two, it is underseasoned for my taste - I’m not getting this “wow” from the flavors. The strangolapreti we ordered tasted like butter, but I didn’t really get much in terms of other ingredients - it was one note. The orecchiette was similar, though I could taste the seasoned meat, which helped. I am not a salt fiend, so I don’t think it’s just a matter of dialing that up.

I saw in the other thread that this is your favorite pasta now - I’m definitely not trying to rip on anybody else’s tastes :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the reply!

oh, i know you weren’t ripping on my taste or anybody else’s. i was just curious. I’m sorry if i gave off that impression.
Happy eating!

2 Likes

A little late to the party but had some great first meals at Bestia and bavel in March! Some photos of my favorites:
Bestia - lobster crostini

Bestia - mussels and clams

Bestia - roasted bone marrow and spinach gnocchetti

Bavel - grilled prawns

Bavel - wagyu beef chuck tagine

Bavel - duck ndjuda hummus (with delicious pita not pictured)

Special thanks to @PorkyBelly and @Chowseeker1999 for their various reports which basically picked out most of my menu for me!

Edit: reordered captions to match pics

8 Likes

Hi @Bagel,

So glad you liked your visit to Bavel. :slight_smile: That Pita!

1 Like

glad you liked it, i couldn’t have picked a better selection myself.

1 Like

That pretty much describes our Khinkali House experience.

We had the same experience with their Pileli Soup. It was perfect on top but underneath was thick and doughy.

2 Likes

Ahhh… this explains your diverse palate.

I felt this way about the pasta (cacio e pepe) I had at Bucato, but figured it was just my unsophisticated pasta palate.

1 Like

Looks like Stan’s Donuts is opening next week?

2 Likes

Thanks for the intel!!

We tried Rasselbock and really enjoyed it. Many thanks to @Bigmouth. Sorry for the crap-quality pics.

Mini potato pancakes:

Jager Schnitzel (I think) and the Hungarian Debreziner (also, I think).

I have basically no experience w/ German food, but I thought everything was delish (esp the weirdly mustard-y potato salad). We liked it so much that we tried to go back the next weekend. With the 45-min wait for 2, we decided to try Little Fatty for the first time. :slight_smile:

Noise level are very high.

2 Likes

That’s a German Specialty and I enjoyed it as well at Rasselbock.
I HATED the Schnitzel though.

Again, very little experience w/ schnitzel. I was expecting a good version of chicken-fried steak, and that’s basically what we got. What did you not like about it? And where do you like the schnitzel? Always happy to try another version. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As previously reported.

Spago, I guess (or Austria, Germany, and Czek Republic) - unfortunately LA doesn’t do it well.

1 Like

I haven’t been in a while but I vaguely recall Metro Cafe in Culver City used to feature a schnitzel once in a while I recall as pretty good. Crisp, well fried no greasiness and well seasoned. But it has been a while since I’ve had it.

Tap your phone screen to focus before snapping. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have somewhat shaky hands, and the lighting in there is SOOOO dark. That’s my excuse. :wink: )

2 Likes

Hahaha… okay, got it. My hubby’s hands shake. Get @SpockSpork to tap it for you. :smile:

1 Like