March 2019 Weekend Rundown

Went to Sri Siam Cafe in NoHo for the first time after seeing a KPCC sponsored show at the El Portal theater.

Crispy Rice Salad with Thai Sour Sausage (sausage cut into tiny cubes - I almost thought it was pieces of ahi tuna). Delish with great textures.

Shrimp Paste Fried Rice | sweet pork, fried egg, green apple, dried shrimp, red onion, fresh Thai chili. Another signature dish. Great one plate meal. Want to try the version with fried mackerel next time.

With over 100 items on the menu, definitely need to go back to explore more. Totally beats the stuff on the Westside near me.

7 Likes

The skins were thicker and doughier than I preferred but not off putting. I like the fillings, the mushroom the most, the cheese the least. The cheese was too congealed for my tastes. I’d get the fried again, especially the mushroom.

Bang bang bang lunch

poseidon at Marisco Jalisco

tacos de camaron at Marisco Jalisco

croissant at The Manufactory

coconut cream pie at The Manufactory

pikunico slaw | cabbage, kale, red onion, seasonal vegetable, sesame vinaigrette at Pikunico

fried chicken & fingerling potato | house-made assorted pickles, daikon ponzu oroshi, lemon aioli, parsley, sesame sauce at Pikunico

miso de leche cookie | shortbread cookie with miso de leche and matcha powder at Pikunico

Dinner bang bang

fried chicken | chicken rice, creamy potato salad, curry creamed corn, bbq baked beans with chicken, dashi braised collard greens with bacon at Tokyo Fried Chicken

black sesame & soy milk soft serve at Big Softee

10 Likes

Final day of March was pretty good. The prices at Taverna Tony continue to climb but it’s expected. Their traditional stewed lamb was the standout. Great tsatsiki and flaming cheese too.

The Pinot I brought was superb

As this winter was the season of Campari I think I’m ready to declare this the summer of Ouzo

4 Likes

Nice.
I always enjoy TT.
It’s no the best but it scratches the Grecian Itch.
Reminds me that I really have to get to Avra and Estiatorio Louka.
Never been to either.

1 Like

I love their crispy rice salad. It’s the best nam khao I’ve had. Try their duck larb next time, it’s fantastic. They do a very respectable khao soi and green curry as well.

2 Likes

favorite crispy rice salad is there! and i’ve tried them all

1 Like

What about Petras in MB. Do you/anyone know if its still good these days. It used to be my go-to for that Grecian Itch maladie you speak of:)

Side note: Im still shocked Milos hasn’t made it to LA before these 2 BH spots opened.

Los Anayas chilaquiles with chorizo

Killer Noodle, downtown style level 4. Side order of fried chicken, which was ehh

Aunt Maile’s, formerly Island Flavor Cafe. Mixed plate with the Kalbi and Korean style chicken wings.

2 Likes

Over a few weekends:

Hit Grand Central Market on separate occasions.

First time at Sari Sari and it definitely met expectations.

Coconut pie - whoa, best dessert I’ve had in a while. Not too sweet, but the best fragrance from the coconut

Pork belly

Arroz - this was comforting and really hit the spot

Kismet Falafel (fka Maducapra) - first time here as well

Moroccan salad with falafel - the falafel was excellent

Yet so was the chicken!

Felix - my 2nd time; I previously went when they first opened

Their salads are great, and their fried squash blossoms are the best version of this dish that I’ve had in LA. Pizza was pretty good too. However, IMO, I agree with J Gold, their pasta isn’t too my taste- and it corroborates my first visit. I’ll still go for everything else though.

Nong La - props to them for serving banh mi cha lua on the Westside!

Cassia - love that kaya toast

Pie and Burger - my first time. For my taste, it was a good diner burger but definitely not a destination visit.

Gjusta takeout - I hear this is the @Chowseeker1999 special :slight_smile: but my go to order as well (smoke fish plate, prime rib sandwich, though missed the tuna conserva this time)

Doesn’t look like much, but this is a grilled lamb skewer from Standing’s Butchery - so absolutely delicious. His meat is aged, super moist, and spiced perfectly. Was really hard to screw it up when the ingredients are so perfect.

14 Likes

Hi @NYCtoLA,

Nice bang x bang! I’m amazed you did that all in 1 meal! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: (j/k)

So glad you liked Sari Sari’s Buko Pie (that Coconut flavor!).

Thanks for your thoughts on Felix. After hearing you and now @PorkyBelly mention pasta issues, it may not be going in a good direction.

Nice order from Gjusta! :slight_smile: What was your favorite smoked fish from Gjusta this time?

1 Like

Thanks, my Sari Sari order was completely inspired by your post(s)!

For the smoked fish, we got the kanpachi collar, sardines, and herbed gravlax. I enjoyed the kanpachi collar the most this time - the smoking differentiates it from the grilled collar you can get at izakayas. Only issue was that it’s a bit of work to eat - you have to use your fingers and pick out the meat from the bones (and there was a low meat to bone ratio).

1 Like

What did you feel was the problem with the pasta at Felix? I vaguely remember Jonathan Gold saying that he didn’t like the texture of the pasta,i think he said something like “Funke and i have a difference in opinion on what al dente means”

@Hungrydrunk For me, the pasta has two issues: one is that yes, it’s too al dente (and I swear I thought that before I read Gold’s review!). Two, it is underseasoned for my taste - I’m not getting this “wow” from the flavors. The strangolapreti we ordered tasted like butter, but I didn’t really get much in terms of other ingredients - it was one note. The orecchiette was similar, though I could taste the seasoned meat, which helped. I am not a salt fiend, so I don’t think it’s just a matter of dialing that up.

I saw in the other thread that this is your favorite pasta now - I’m definitely not trying to rip on anybody else’s tastes :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the reply!

oh, i know you weren’t ripping on my taste or anybody else’s. i was just curious. I’m sorry if i gave off that impression.
Happy eating!

2 Likes

A little late to the party but had some great first meals at Bestia and bavel in March! Some photos of my favorites:
Bestia - lobster crostini

Bestia - mussels and clams

Bestia - roasted bone marrow and spinach gnocchetti

Bavel - grilled prawns

Bavel - wagyu beef chuck tagine

Bavel - duck ndjuda hummus (with delicious pita not pictured)

Special thanks to @PorkyBelly and @Chowseeker1999 for their various reports which basically picked out most of my menu for me!

Edit: reordered captions to match pics

8 Likes

Hi @Bagel,

So glad you liked your visit to Bavel. :slight_smile: That Pita!

1 Like

glad you liked it, i couldn’t have picked a better selection myself.

1 Like

That pretty much describes our Khinkali House experience.

We had the same experience with their Pileli Soup. It was perfect on top but underneath was thick and doughy.

2 Likes

Ahhh… this explains your diverse palate.