March 2022 Rundown

Had a doc appointment near Tartine SaMo today. Impressive line despite being 9:30 on a weekday, but the almond lemon loaf, strawberry hand pie, and mushroom tartine were all really good. Coffee probably a tier below nearby Goodboybob, but man those baked goods are the truth.

3 Likes

I haven’t eaten at Ye Olde King’s Head in Santa Monica in over 20 years and I was pleasantly surprised that their fish & chips are exactly as I remembered. Still the best in the LA area to me.
Got one piece beer battered and one piece original battered and while both were great, I personally prefer the smoother beer batter.

Love their bangers & mash too!

16 Likes

Regular peas rather than mushy, hmm.

I’ve had regular peas with bangers & mash in England plenty of times. :woman_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

They actually got rid of the original recipe for a period of time and then brought it back. I imagine there was outrage at changing the recipe. I know we stopped going when they changed and then went back when we tried other places (and were sorely disappointed). We were so happy to hear that they were offering the original recipe again!

Batterfish was actually pretty good but apparently moved to OR…

The curry there is not half bad (but not at all spicy).

4 Likes

Stopped by Bari last week for the first time in a long time. Probably my favorite visit out of 4

Capocollo $12 & Finnocchio $12

Rigatoni en Ragu Bianco $26
braised rabbit, winter herbs, olives, pecorino

Dessert Baby!!

Also Gemini Bakehouse is providing treats for Cofax Coffee and I’ve been loving it!!

Strawberry Shortcake Donut $5

Cinnamon Roll $5
Fuckin best holy cow

Praline Pecan Crunch Donut ?! $5

Sprinkles $5

14 Likes

I have been wondering about Bari. Seems to fly below the radar and my one visit was quite good.

Yeah I live close by and don’t go enough. I’m not so much into building a meal focused on skewers but I’m glad to know they have more pasta options now

2 Likes

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/c/2/c21f7777bea0e095307102b7f18b8fa818ea6999.jpeg

Soft-serve with orecchiette and olive oil?

This stuff was in the pouch on the back of the seat in front of me in an Uber the other night. I assumed the driver was selling it, but he wasn’t, and his English wasn’t good enough to explain why they were there. Is this the stuff they put in som tum?

:joy: you know it

Were the orecchiette crunchy?

Naw they were hazelnuts if I remember correct, my bad I thought you were joking. I didn’t look too hard at the dessert menu.

Is that a thing? Candied/roasted orecchiette?

No, they just looked too concave for nuts.

That was tripping me up too lol it’s why I didn’t leave a description. They kinda don’t look like hazelnuts

Thanks to @Clayfu’s post about Hummus Labs in Pasadena:

We had delivery from there last night.

Fattoush Salad ($7.95) upgraded to Greek (feta and Kalamata olives +$1.95)

Falafel platter with sides of classic hummus and grilled vegetables ($13.95)

Falafel platter with sides of classic hummus and baba ghanoush ($13.95)

Party Pack with classic hummus, baba ghanoush, tzatziki, and feta dip ($12.95) (came with a large tub of pita chips though thought I had ordered pita bread)

Shawarma Nachos with cauliflower ($13.95) (holy crap are these good! I’m now wondering if they would do a pita wrap with the shawarma cauliflower)

15 Likes

Craving a tuna sub. For weeks. (Crazy, huh?).

Happened to be near Burbank so I remembered Giamela’s is there.

$10.50 for this giant beast, loaded with diced pickles, tomatoes and onion.

19 Likes

Nice! Can you describe your banh cuon setup?

1 Like

Yes, first @PorkyBelly preps all his rice batter and fillings, reaches for his smartphone and records me doing it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

All joking aside I have a special banh cuon pot that you can stretch fabric over to steam the banh cuon. You could also use the stainless steel steam trays as another way of doing as well.

9 Likes

Had a pretty good meal at Anajak the other day. The pork coppa / kratong tong / farmer market bok choy were the winners this time.

Shin Sushi - keeping it reasonably affordable at $150pp

19 Likes