March 2022 Rundown

Prob needs no introduction but this republique mango passion fruit curd pie was perfect in every way. Thank you @PorkyBelly

18 Likes

gahhhh the @hppzz @NYCtoLA @PorkyBelly trifecta

3 Likes

the ripest and mangoiest one yet :hugs:

2 Likes

Finally made it out to Agora World Cafe and Market (Brentwood). Fun place. We had the gyro sandwich and meatball sandwich. I could’ve used more actual gyro, but the flavor was fine. Meatballs were flattened (not sure if they’re simply using what’s for sale in the freezer in the market section). Salads (included) were a bit overdressed and slightly oversalted in sections, bu the dressing was quite tasty. They also gave us a sample of their lentil soup (totally pureed and w/ a dusting of chili flakes on top).

Sandwiches are ~$11-15. Very pleasant for the area, although not would consider a destination (certainly worth a visit if you live nearby). Cooks may actually find their market more interesting. If you ever need pre-soaked sponges for tiramisu, pre-jammed sponges for strawberry, or pickled baby okra, you know where to find it now.

9 Likes

Maybe i’ll walk over for lunch! My mom is just across Wilshire from there and i’m not much farther. Thx for the review

1 Like

Sunday morning pastry haul from Artelice Patisserie (Sawtelle Japantown)…

19 Likes

was it served with whipped creme or did you add it? I really liked my slice.

1 Like

Seems like those would be really hard to arrange without them falling apart.

They offered me a dollop of whipped cream to which I said hell yeah. Looking at the pie I was like they better offer me whipped cream

3 Likes

That’s a good point. Have you ever seen something like that b/f?

At $6 a pop, I might just got one package to see. :wink:

The Turkish cotton candy reminds me a lot of the “Dragon’s Beard” candy my parents used to buy for us when I was a kid. I wonder if they’re related.

1 Like

Zooming in on the photo I don’t see presoaked sponges but rather a packaged tiramisu. Also the savoiardi (ladyfingers) most recipes call for.

A lot of cool stuff there! I noticed they have pre made/cooked dough for Turkish pizza in the freezer section.

I’d go back for the sandwich too always nice to have another option at the under 15$ price point in the area

1 Like

OHHHHH. Yeah, that makes much more sense.

FWIW, they did have a ton of packaged ladyfingers next to this area. :slight_smile:

@aaqjr: Glad you enjoyed it. I also noticed the dough. I wonder if they actually use the same dough for the pizza at the deli counter (and for the pastries). Guess I can make lahmajun at home now. Also various forms of cheese next to the sodas in the refrigerated case (and S&F sized yogurt!). The dips in the deli case looked pretty good. Just wish they were labelled!

1 Like

I thought it said the pizza was made with pita! But the pic didn’t look like pita it looked longer :man_shrugging: will have to try it and find out!

They did have a couple different doughs in the freezer section one that looked like puff pastry in square and triangle shapes and another that was thinner like filo.

Good price on grapeseed oil too. Somehow i missed the dips! Will have to take a closer look.

This place saves a trip to Jordan market in Westwood for some things anyway so that’s nice

Zabar’s is truly one of the best grocery stores I ever been too.

I am kicking myself for not getting a black and white, whitefish salad, babka and chicken livers. Should have tried more knishes too.

For someone like me these foods are not something I grew up eating nor is it something that Southern California is known for. What a treat! I wanna try more.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve had a black & white I’d buy twice, probably because I don’t like fondant.

Babka can be really good.

2 Likes

Oh man, good Babka in NYC. Good post from @robert.

I had a surprisingly delicious babka last year at Cake Monkey. But Diamond, Bea’s are terrific and some of the Gelson’s have a Jewish bakery in them like in the Tarzana location.

You can get some good B & W’s here in LA. Just had one from Bea’s in Tarzana.

Glad you are discovering some great new tastes!

2 Likes

finally got to try @hppzz’s homemade banh cuon. loved the elasticity and chew on his piping hot rice sheets :heart: I’ll be the first in line when he opens his banh cuon shop. thank you @hppzz

25 Likes

Grilled meat on stix

18 Likes

Jealous, that dude cooks up a feast everyday.

7 Likes