March 2022 Rundown

Oh man, good Babka in NYC. Good post from @robert.

I had a surprisingly delicious babka last year at Cake Monkey. But Diamond, Bea’s are terrific and some of the Gelson’s have a Jewish bakery in them like in the Tarzana location.

You can get some good B & W’s here in LA. Just had one from Bea’s in Tarzana.

Glad you are discovering some great new tastes!

2 Likes

finally got to try @hppzz’s homemade banh cuon. loved the elasticity and chew on his piping hot rice sheets :heart: I’ll be the first in line when he opens his banh cuon shop. thank you @hppzz

25 Likes

Grilled meat on stix

18 Likes

Jealous, that dude cooks up a feast everyday.

7 Likes

Aw thanks, def better eating fresh than reheated the next day.

But I’m glad you got to try at least one fresh of the bánh cuốn pot as part of your first leg of your bang x bang x bang evening. :joy:

8 Likes

When the local taco stand has a line down the block, go to Popeyes and get the spicy fried chicken sandwich.

10 Likes

Paella at a Spanish friend’s house. Spot on. #InSearchOfSocarrat

Bomba rice…

Finished product (under the criss-cross canopy, which made for a fun photographic effect)…

Socarrat! #SlowFood

16 Likes

We have two coffee mugs that used to have Zabar on them. Now they’re just white.

But $495!!! As soon as I saw Coach I shouldn’t have looked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

106 Underground Seafood - Inglewood

Marlin tacos :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: my favorite

Shrimp apple ceviche :heart_eyes:

Shrimp w/ salsa macha :heart_eyes: brings the heat

The place was jammin and of course, Sergio was cooking.

You Kitchen - Alhambra

Sesame Chinese pizza

House fish and chive dumpling

Pan moist fried pork bun

A&J Seafood Shack - Long Beach

Beef stick :heart_eyes: soft and tender and full of flavor

Combo fried rice :heart_eyes: flavor bomb

Crispy salmon

Garlic shrimp

Pitburger - Gardena

Teriyaki burger - not sure why I like these so much, perhaps it is the char flavored beef and the teriyaki and mayo mixing together that makes it pretty tasty to me.

Oui Melrose

Hot cod sandwich

Pastrami khachapuri

Phu’s Bakery - Rosemead

Po-tat

Isla Cuban-Latin Kitchen and Rum Bar - La Palma

Alcohol - pretty darn good drinks here

Oxtail

19 Likes

Broad Street Oyster (Malibu)
Island Creek oysters - these are my absolute favorite oyster in that the texture, salinity, and creaminess really speak to me.

Santa Barbara uni - perfect little tongues that sang song of the sea with just a touch of lemon

Florida stone crab - kind of mealy, but my dining companion loves stone crab and must have it when ever it’s on a menu

Lobster roll - served warm because my dining companion prefers it warm with butter…it was lovely, though a bit heavy use of Old Bay that was mixed in with the drawn butter

Not pictured: Fish & Chips…the Budweiser batter was more than I’d have preferred, but it was a very crispy coat that had a generous amount of lemon zest sprinkled on top.

Mariscos Arenita (Whittier)

New local truck with a ceviche tropicale…I miss Underground 106. Sergio clearly wins this battle…there was not enough mango in this rendition.
But they did have an enjoyable mango habanero aguachile.

Churros Know (Whittier)

You know the chowpup is yours when he swerves the car (in zero traffic…there weren’t any other cars around us so it was safe) after seeing a sign on the road for churros.
$15 for a dozen fried fresh to order. Comes with condensed milk and house made chocolate sauce and cajeta.
They were still a touch salty and custardy inside, with a crisp exterior generously coated in cinnamon sugar.
I am not sure if churros this good should be this close to my house.

Matsuhisa
The house that Nobu built has long been on my list, and I finally got a chance to try it.
Lobster tacos - fun and tasty, but I wouldn’t order them again on a return trip

Dry miso salad with spinach - this was really surprising in flavors and textures. There’s crispy yuba bit that enhance the crunch of the spinach and the miso dressing was so flavorful.

Softshell crab

Spicy tuna crispy rice - I might never order this dish from any other place ever again. The crispy rice cubes were fried to perfection and the spicy tuna was insanely creamy, while having just the right amount of heat. Every spicy tuna crispy rice should emulate this dish.

Vegetable skewers with tare - grilled to perfection

Miso-grilled black sea bass - I did spend this trip trying for signature Nobu dishes because I wanted to see how the dishes that inspired the rest of the world fared in their original form. The skin was still crispy and caramelized from the miso glaze. The fish was silky smooth like butter.

Strawberry kakigori - we were transported back to Hawaii. The strawberry syrup was chunky is very intensely strawberry. They should sell that syrup and add to Nobu’s empire.

20 Likes

I went to Isla the other week. Cocktails are indeed solid there. Their mofongo and habanero salmon are also really good. I also find that I really like their rice and beans…rice is super aromatic and the black beans seasoned just right.

1 Like

I almost got the mofongo, definitely gonna get it on my next visit. Thanks

Verdict? Did you try their egg tart?

Phu’s only has po-tat which I do like more than Jim’s po-tat. It is less sweet and less milky than Jim’s. The crust at Jim’s is more crisp and buttery.

Phu’s does not carry dan-tat which I prefer more than po-tat. I still enjoy Jim’s dan-tat more that both po-tat, I just love the delicate and flakey crust of dan-tat and the more eggy custard flavor.

8 Likes

gahhh…a shame. thanks for the report though!

1 Like

Agree- been saying for years how good Cake Monkey’s hazelnut babka is (loaf better than slice). Although I’m sure NY has amazing ones I’ve tried Oneg’s and Bread’s and both were shockingly not good.

2 Likes

Had a doc appointment near Tartine SaMo today. Impressive line despite being 9:30 on a weekday, but the almond lemon loaf, strawberry hand pie, and mushroom tartine were all really good. Coffee probably a tier below nearby Goodboybob, but man those baked goods are the truth.

3 Likes

I haven’t eaten at Ye Olde King’s Head in Santa Monica in over 20 years and I was pleasantly surprised that their fish & chips are exactly as I remembered. Still the best in the LA area to me.
Got one piece beer battered and one piece original battered and while both were great, I personally prefer the smoother beer batter.

Love their bangers & mash too!

16 Likes

Regular peas rather than mushy, hmm.