May 2020 Rundown

The James Sugishita x Raku collaboration chirashi-don was spectacular!

The rice was deftly vinegared, and the neta placed in wonderful proportions. There was beautiful searing, which really brought out the seasonal taste. Included was akami zuke, ni-anago, kinmedai seared with binchotan, kasugodai marinated in sweet vinegar, kohada, kuruma ebi (!), ikura, atsuyaki tamago, shiitake-ni, kyuri. It was a lot of food.

Just splendid!

19 Likes

I was on my way to Mozza to get a pizza or 3 but realized that the wait time was 1.5 hour so I turned around and got some nugz…

11 Likes

Where’s the fof?

Left it in its deconstructed state at McD…

1 Like

Ton of food from AOC but ugh so sad I forgot to order one of their awesome drinks. Ordered a la carte though they also have dinner for four

Was this mainly just an excuse to have the farro? Perhaps. But everything held up pretty damn well given the 25 minute drive. The peas may have been my fave

12 Likes

In addition to my PRD feast, this is what else I had over the past week:

Kimchi carnitas fries, Cheezy Weezy, chubby pork belly bowl (Chego) from Kogi Taqueria

Yucatán menu from Vespertine, devil’s food imperial stout cake and bacon & caramelized onion cheese pull part from Helms Bakery, and (in the plastic bag) carbonara from Pasta Sisters

Yucatán menu from Vespertine

TIKIN XIIK’ | DRY FISH

Additional Far East Plaza goodies: cold brew from Endorffeine, taro chips and condensed milk ice cream from LASA

King crab chirashi-don from Shunji

21 Likes

@chrishei winning the takeout wars here.

5 Likes

And by winning takeout wars, also winning the “my life actually doesn’t revolve around doing the dishes” wars

4 Likes

Picked up a lot of food from Bludso’s Bar & Que today, very mixed experience. Food was solid for the most part, despite a couple salt bombs and a couple dry pieces of brisket. I was happy to see they’re so busy - around 10 people picked up orders while I was there, and TONS more bags being prepped.

But the pickup process itself, man what a mess. Their advertised “curbside pickup” is nonexistent, at least on a busy night. They say to call when you arrive, but it just goes straight to a mailbox. So I walked in, and there was no single point of contact. A bunch of other people (mostly delivery app drivers) were waiting around in a cramped area. Of course, one of those idiots has no mask. After flagging down somebody, it took another 10-15 min to hunt down my order even though I placed it through the restaurant’s own website. I would have felt much more comfortable if they just made everyone wait outside and deal with one order at a time.

5 Likes

That’s right, my fellow Bruin

5 Likes

What’s the dish in the first pic? And is that black rice w/ the farro? I adore black rice…

Bruins in da house!

4 Likes

Is that a pair? A double tier? Or one order?

1 Like

Double order.

Focaccia with baby broccoli. And yeah, farro with black rice, dinosaur kale, and a bunch of other stuff. Loved it so much the first time we had it that we got the cookbook and made it…once :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did somebody say stone fruit season?

Wow harry’s gaviotas are exponentially getting better by the week. @NYCtoLA

murray family farms royal rainier cherries
Incredible @TheCookie, @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @ebethsdad

17 Likes

Yah totally agree. Glad you got some of the Organic Cherries from Murray Family Farms! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Charcoal family meal for 2. Photos are bad. Food was great. Pick up was easy in the parking lot behind Melissa. Some portions seemed small for two people, e.g. the cauliflower, but overall it was plenty of food. Loved all the little containers of sauces. Lots left over that we’ll be using for other meats and vegetables. detailed reheating instructions that were fine for the vegetables but too much for the steak, which ended up medium-well.

Overall a great meal! Now if we could only get that happy hour burger.

10 Likes

The menu:

1 Like

I guess I’ll be hitting up the Farmer’s market next weekend. Thanks!

1 Like