May 2021 Rundown

Happy belated birthday @chinchi! Great pics.

1 Like

They’re right! I rarely order chicken dishes in restaurants unless it’s their specialty, but my girlfriend ordered it last time we went to M&F and it was really good! Much better than my boring sand dabs.

Here’s a bad picture of it…

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

We went to Jitlada and highly enjoyed ourselves! Veggie spring rolls, Jitlada chicken wings and pad see ew with tofu. [by the by, I overstated what SB805 did. It passed the state senate vote, and now needs to be voted on by the legislature. I’m hoping for another celebration meal in the near future.]

5 Likes

Yes. Again. Zacatecas in Hawthorne.

Carnitas, all veggies instead of rice and beans

Fish taco

7 Likes

All day baby breakfast biscuit and chicken biscuit. In biscuit heaven soft fluffy and buttery . I could just have biscuits with their good ass jam

U street pizza. Vodka pepp pizza. This pizza is really good. Hard to categorize maybe a cross between ny style with neo-Neapolitan? Great chew/char on crust

Not pictured triple beam. Maybe this goes against the FTC intelligentsia but that place is not good. My friend ordered six pizzas all of them were bland and the crust was so limp.

17 Likes

Squirrel Hill hood in Pittsburgh near Shady x Forbes. Reminds me of Clement St in SF… Chinese restaurants, coffeeshops, asian market, bookstore.

Got to try the Burnt Almond Torte at Prantl Bakery. That outer layer has such great texture. This was pretty tasty! Went great with some coffee.

Taiwanese food at Bistro 33, 3 cup chicken was okay needs more sesame oil, garlic, and ginger for my tastes. That ong choy was $18 LOL!

Surprised with the authentic food, but not that surprise because of Carnegie Mellon University.

Salem’s in the Strip District. Middle eastern grocery store and grill. This snack of garlic naan and grilled veggie kabobs were pretty damn good.

Fallingwater!

18 Likes

Thought the same re: Triple Beam, it sucked.

2 Likes

bulgarini

as good as ever. pistachio is :heart: :blush: :heart:

strawberry, pistachio

chocolate salt, stracciatella

current menu

15 Likes

@PorkyBelly that’s my ultimate PB&J in a cup!

@hungryhungryhippos you can always buy extra biscuits. They freeze well (per Lien) and the ADB strawberry jam is a great accompaniment. I never get to the freezing. We eat them all within 36 hours.

6 Likes

Yep. Every slice I had was bland and the crust wasn’t that great. Pass it up… go get some Flautas from Dorados instead…

2 Likes

A few things to close out May

SUI Bakery

This is a pick-up service by the former pastry chef from Auburn (Dyan Ng) - you can purchase fresh-baked croissants or the dough on Tock (I think for the same cost). I got these as a gift, and they were delicious! Getting the dough is more work, but it’s worth it to eat them fresh-baked in your home. Instructions include “proofing” them in your oven, brushing with an egg wash, and then baking them. The two flavors we have here are Burnt Cinnamon and Gianduja Croissant. Both were great, though I personally feel the Gianduja was more craveworthy due to the hazelnut milk chocolate filling that pops in your mouth.

Gjusta
Steady as she goes - the smoked fish plate and the prime rib plate. The doneness of the prime rib can be inconsistent (sometimes it’s pink, sometimes it’s brown), and I don’t think this is a recent, post-Lett phenomenon. But I still really enjoy the dish, and it’s a must order for me (and trust me, I like my meat bloody and screaming).

Goldland BBQ
Santa Maria style BBQ - I have extremely limited experience with this type of BBQ, but this is markedly better than what I’ve tried before (Green Acres in Simi Valley, which is pretty good). There was a slight mix up with our order, for which they were extremely apologetic due to us picking up our order at the end of the day. The tri-tip is amazing - very moist, tender, and flavorful (spices, and smoke, but not too much of it). Definitely will to visit them again in the summer.

Their “strawberries and cream” dessert (with some sort of custard) was addictive. Even though we were full from gorging on the meat, we still each finished our servings of this.

Jimmy Sugishita bentos
‘Nuff said!

Speak Cheezy
A new roving pizza pop up with a weekly rotation in Culver City (and others) - solid pizza, and I think was in that article that was posted by Andy Wang about great pizzas in town to try. They uses Roccboxes to cook.

23 Likes

Closing out May. I feel like there’s been very little talk about Jon and vinnys brunch. Granted it’s a small sample size of one visit and they aren’t re-inventing brunch but the food like their dinner is superbly executed. Also adding grilled gjusta bread tastes good with just about anything.

17 Likes

Duuude. That grilled bread with tomatoes and eggs looks fantastic.

2 Likes

It was very good eggs were perfectly soft scrambled

3 Likes

Bumping this - anyone got any good spot prawns lately? Luxe Seafood closing down personal sales really stings!

Stephanie’s still good as of this week. See prior post for website.

1 Like

Excellent shot.

Those ADB biscuits! And that perfectly folded fluffy egg!

What @aaqjr said!