Mediocre Day at Grand Central Market - Belcampo, Wexler's, Madcapra, Olio's, etc

that’s my point.

But pictures. Tons of pictures.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s my point.

What exactly is it that you don’t like about GCM? For me, it is overwhelmingly better than it was five years ago. Different people like different things. Some people like meat tacos; some people like falafel salads. I don’t think it’s just bandwagon jumping to prefer falafel salads. There was nothing I wanted to eat at GCM five years ago. Now it’s a destination for lots of stuff I like. It seems like it is the opposite for you.

2 Likes

People will line up where people are lining up. On our last visit (more than a year ago) we preferred Roast to Go’s tacos to Tumbras a Tomas as well.

I love their seasonal salads… so GOOD and quite filling!

–Dommy!

2 Likes

They often have to go cheese boxes and on occassion they get mini Goia Burratas to snack and go. One of my favorite lunches ever.

–Dommy!

and you STLLL HAVEN’T REFUTED MY POINT.

The point is Yelpers are actually quite useful for the pictures they provide and almost always on the scene before any “true hound”. Your foodie elitism is misplaced.

3 Likes

Just my take, but I think both of you have valid points.

Yelp is the not a site I look for opinions on food. The ones that I’ve read varied from excellent to pointless - most veering toward the latter. “OMG! _____ has the absolute best _____ ever! But they don’t even have WiFi so I deducted two stars…” I have seen duplicate posts on Chowhound and yelp from well known hounds/FCers. But they are severely outnumbered by the “Mickey-D’s is off the charts!” 4-star reviews.

Just by their shear numbers and competition to be the first to post about a place, yelpers are like large swarms of ants indiscriminately descending on any and all tidbits of food. Former hounds/now F-Cers are far fewer in numbers but are more like truffle-sniffing dogs. It:s a matter of seeking out what is truly worthy regardless of price and giving priceless finds the deserved attention. The quality of posts and threads are products of our collective yet disputable reputations.

Yelp is a directory for me. I find it far easier to figure out where to eat when I’m out of the area. The number of yelpers posting about new places does lean heavily toward hipsterville. But the shear number of ALL places and the numbers of posts are indisputably far more democratic. Not saying this is good in terms of quality. The pix are definitely a great resource - some places might have 700+ photos posted… One can discern a lot from them. Attempting to find a place to eat at the last minute using yelp as a directory and the accompanying pix can yield good to great results.

9 Likes

Yelp is extremely useful for the directory and the photos–and recently menus. I would say that the reviews and ratings aren’t very useful. The problem is the audience is too diverse. Too many people not very interested in food, too many people with weird diets, too many students on tight budgets.

1 Like

In my opinion, the first thing you’ve listed is the “truly” problematic thing in terms of Yelp. :wink: The other two are not sufficient reasons for posting unhelpful (IMHO) reviews. I actually also find that “reading btw the lines” in Yelp reviews can also be useful… What one review hates most might be what I like best… And I think it’s not too difficult to tell when that might be the case…

I bet there’s some thread on Yelp’s forums where they’re complaining that “Those FTC’ers, they just care too much about food. WTF?”

5 Likes

hahaha. awesome

1 Like

Ahem, I believe the term is “snobs.”

http://www.yelp.com/topic/redondo-beach-oh-shizza-zagat-vs-chowhound-vs-yelp-vs-the-world

9 years old, yes, but still wins you that bet, ipse.

That’s so, um, 2007.

1 Like

Yep. I use Yelp quite a bit because of their bookmark function. Someone is always telling me "try his place’ and then I don’t remember the exact name or where it was… with bookmarks, I can easily just file it away and reference it when I’m there at the location. In fact, I wish the bookmarks function was more robust.

–Dommy!

3 Likes

I am both a Yelper and a FTC/CH. Yelp is useful, as others mentioned, for photos and as a directory. I also find many of the reviews helpful, whether for a quick check of favorite dishes, for prices, or for practical tips such as parking and restaurant temperature (e.g., do I need to bring a sweater?). I do not take reviews at face value, whichever site I check. I critically read reviews and discussions and form my own opinions.

As for GCM, the renewal, for me, erased the ambience and experience of the market. I used to love strolling the stalls, picking up pan dulce, jugos or liquidos, produce or spices, and lunch. Many of those vendors have now been replaced, as has much of the character and clientele. I really hope the original vendors that remain can hang on. Usually I end up at Tacos Tumbras a Tomas (carnitas torta!), but Sarita’s and Roast to Go also hit the spot. I’ve never tried Moreliana…I’ll have to give it a go. I’m on a modest budget, so most of new options are above my normal lunch price point. I’m all for more options for good food, but I wish a new food court had been opened to supplement (rather than supplant) GCM. That said, I’ll continue to visit and support GCM.

1 Like

@chinchi definitely give Villa Moreliana a try. :smile: As an FYI, their wonderful Carnitas tacos (try the Costilla (I added my my thoughts in a separate taco thread here)) are $2.50, but as Barry pointed out it’s easily like 3 (THREE) times the size of a normal $1 street taco. So you get your money’s worth.

1 Like

I had two of their tacos once while on lunch from jury duty. It was hard enough staying awake in the courtroom to begin with. Had I not had the extra hour the judge gave us for lunch before reconvening, I probably would have been snoring in the jury box.

2 Likes