Michelin California

More likely the inspectors didn’t agree with you that it’s unremarkable and pretty standard.

Oh! I get it now thanks for explaining! Finally I see that the Michelin inspectors have probably been to a Mexican restaurant before and also that they think places they recommend are good. That had gone over my head and was definitely the point of my original comment. Very helpful and clarifying responses, thanks.

3 Likes

Michelin inspectors visit way more restaurants than end up in the guide, which contains way more restaurants than the ones that have stars, Bib Gourmand, or The Plate. Their legwork is obvious to me in that they occasionally turn up off-the-radar places. Not that that stops the guides from being somewhat narrow in their focus and missing a lot of great places.

2 Likes
1 Like

everyone furiously googling Heritage in long beach

4 Likes

We’re going to Heritage this weekend. Never heard of it previously.

1 Like

how about Valle in Oceanside? Anybody been? Just realized it’s 22 minutes from my parents’ spot in San Clemente. Not cheap, 165 tasting menu!!! And reservations are wide open.

1 Like
2 Likes

According to Michelin, one of LA’s best place for tacos is Petty Cash lol wut

6 Likes

LOL what

Has anyone eaten there in the past five years? That’s the most recent post I find here.

I have distant bad memories of Petty Cash.

2 Likes

thank you @matthewkang for defending the honor of LA food!

2 Likes

Petty Cash’s food was fantastic during its first year: Handmade tortillas, uni & avocado on house made pork rinds, aguachile made to order. It felt like a Manzke restaurant.

They retooled with a drinks-first+bar snacks model and slashed the kitchen staff.

Mediocrity ensued.

3 Likes

Maybe Manzke got it back on track post-Covid? The menu’s definitely more than bar snacks and the sourcing is pretty solid.

NYAKA

The production was so bad lol

3 Likes

nope, been there in the last month. It’s … fine. Like the best “small plates taqueria” in a sub-500k American city (think, like, Boise?)

3 Likes

Michelin bungling LA just means more good food for ftc to eat without the lines.

4 Likes