Modern Chinese Cuisine Steeped in Tradition, but Accessible to a Wider Audience and New Generation – Succulent Roasted Pork Shoulder Char Siu, Supple Hainan Chicken Rice, Outrageous Pork Chop Buns and More! – Needle and Pearl River Deli [Thoughts + Pics]

Loved the scene right after the judge tries this bowl for the first time. Classic Stephen Chow.

2 Likes

This movie looks ridiculous and wacky. Is it worth seeking out and watching? :slight_smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello?! Is Margarita’s Manzke’s mango passionfruit pie good?!

Overwhelming YES!!! “God of Cookery” is funny, engaging, and even if you don’t get the humor at every turn, at the very least the film will prove to be immensely helpful in understanding the food psyche in HK.

Your street cred is one level down with me, Chowseeker, until you report back to me saying that this cinematic delight is under your belt. It’s THAT essential. :smiley:

9 Likes

It’s not my favorite Filipino rice bowl place but their lumpia shanghai and few others dishes are pretty enjoyable. I actually preferred it to HiFi Kitchen and Ricebar (although they’re all pretty good, we’re just spoiled for choice right now)

1 Like

Hi @J_L,

OK OK! :smile: I’ll make sure to watch this movie and understand HK food more. Thanks for the recommendation. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, as I recalled from my lunch report there from 2019, the Shanghai lumpia was indeed pretty good!

Never got a chance to try HiFi, and RiceBar was kinda solid I suppose.

1 Like

That’s all Stephen Chow films! It’s also heavy on HK slang. You seen Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle at least right?

5 Likes

You know me too well! I mentioned this scone to partner, and he was like, “Ooooh.” Think I know where I’ll be stopping by. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Yes, our friends showed us Kung Fu Hustle, but haven’t seen the other one. :sweat_smile:

@paranoidgarliclover I just got off the phone with the ADB team. They have about 6 scones left. Call them to reserve if you haven’t been yet.

2 Likes

Just checked the Toast interface for ADB. My PRD pick up for the chicken is tomorrow (Sun), so I was planning to go to ADB tomorrow, as well. It looks as if I cannot order for the next day, so, given how quickly they are selling out, it seems that the best plan might be to order ahead tomorrow morning? I assume they make a batch of scones daily (I hope).

You’re right. You can’t pre-order using their site. It’s best to call in the morning to check their inventory…maybe about an hour to an hour and a half prior to arriving. I called at 10:30 knowing that I’d be in the area around noon-ish. They only had a dozen left, so I took half. I reserved and paid via phone.

3 Likes

Quick report: Smooth pickup from PRD, no issues @paranoidgarliclover @attran99 @PorkyBelly and all

5 Likes

What did you get?!?!?

1 Like

Same. Parked. Walked over and picked up. Back in the car to the next stop.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: lol you be kind cruelin’…I’d lower the cred down two levels! haha. To redeem himself he will need to mail order the bluray version (if he can find it) or uhmm… bittorent download. Then again there may be low bitrate versions on youtube…

Stephen Chow came a long way…from co-hosting a kids show in Hong Kong to doing minor roles in TV and films, to comedy, and to director/producer (and filthy rich but very down to earth…and always discovering new female talent who he ends up dating at times). His 1990s films where he acts in them are whacky to say the very least, but have so much appeal even when watching them again. Since Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle (laughed so hard it hurt, I’d say one of his finest work), and CJ-7, the quality of his projects have been nothing but spectacular.

God of Cookery is definitely a classic. It’s amazing how the idea for that rice in the movie came from Stephen and the chef in the youtube video, and the concept of sorrowful rice regained popularity in real life in the last 8 years (and still to this day but it’s less trendy now). The craziest rendition I heard of was in a hotel somewhere in Hong Kong, needed at least 48 hours advanced reservation, limited to like 20 bowls a day, ran US$25 to $30 ish a bowl and was something like premium organic Japanese rice with imported Japanese jidori tamago (I suppose a duck egg could work too) and I can’t remember if it was Iberico char siu or just premium local pork…it was the VIP and upper echelon’s comfort food. Downside was that nobody else cared much for the restaurant’s other offerings except that bowl, lol. Even my buddy over there booked a table for 8 once, 8 bowls of the sorrowful rice and that was all they had for lunch. Like a rite of passage.

Strangely this is not a commonly offered item at HK cafes or restaurants here. One fusion HK cafe place in SF does it with pork neck (although the red coloring exterior is artificial unfortunately), and it’s actually harder for the restaurant getting the fried egg done correctly for the plate, if you can believe it (lol)…the yolk is either under cooked or overcooked, so I gave up and just ordered over easy…sigh. It’s like trying to find a restaurant that has pineapple buns baked in house, in house roasties department, and ingredients to make a pineapple bun char siu sandwich with fried egg, lettuce, tomato, and secret sauce, but much simpler with sorrowful rice since it’s just adding a fried egg and seasoning it right.

But yeah, a PRD version…even with a ramen style ajitama / ni-tamago would work (although a fried sunny side egg is the most legit), along with the right lightly sweet soy sauce, would be heavenly, even just to dream about it a little.

4 Likes

Update:

Chef Lee had removed his legendary Hainan Chicken Rice from the menu for a bit, but last week and this week it has returned by popular demand (now via Tock).

Shroom Chow Fun:

A big thanks to @PorkyBelly for the recommendation, Pearl River Deli makes a Mushroom Chow Fun dish that is great! :blush: It shouldn’t be a surprise with Chef Lee cooking, but usually the Chow Fun dishes we’ve had around the San Gabriel Valley over the years has been ~OK. Chef Lee’s version is light, with nice Wok Hei (Breath of the Wok), not oily and the Mushrooms add a delicious earthy meatiness without the meat. Tasty! (And it’s vegan (naturally).) :slight_smile: (@hanhgry @TheCookie @JeetKuneBao and others.)

Hainan Chicken Rice (for Two):

Nicely packaged with all the components separated but easily assembled back home.

And it survived the trip back to the Westside nicely, with everything still bright and fresh:

First, the Hainan Chicken itself was moist and supple. Chef Johnny Lee has improved even more and for the actual Chicken meat and execution, Pearl River Deli’s version is tops in the city, and definitely an improvement from the days of Side Chick (after it was sold).

The Hainan Chicken Rice itself had a good infusion of Chicken essence and flavor. Ours was a touch soft, but it might’ve been the car ride back, but still tasty.

Sweet Soy Sauce, Ginger Scallion Sauce, Hot Sauce:

The trio of Sauces were the same as our previous (early) visit to Pearl River Deli: The Ginger Scallion Sauce is the winner, outstanding depth of flavor, it is the perfect match for the Hainan Chicken and some Rice (and be sure to sip some of that delicious Chicken Broth that’s included). :heart:

The Sweet Soy Sauce is good and adds a nice flavor change, and the Housemade Hot Sauce has some kick to it and is fine for another flavor twist, but we still prefer Savoy’s trio more.

Still overall, this represents the best execution of Hainan Chicken we have in L.A. right now, definitely a highlight and one of the strengths of Chef Lee and Pearl River Deli. Hopefully it becomes a mainstay (as it should be)!

Pearl River Deli
727 N. Broadway, #130
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (626) 688-9507

(Check their IG for latest specials and updates):

10 Likes

The Pearl River Deli staff said they were just closing up early: It appears the protests may be moving over towards Chinatown area and they are leaving to be safe.

Hopefully Chef Lee and the PRD staff get out OK.

5 Likes

We’re fine, we will probably only operate a few hours tomorrow in order to fulfill all the Hainan chicken preorders then close up early again and take our two days off.

also @Chowseeker1999 we aren’t using the Chinese laundry chili sauce anymore, its our own house made sauce.

7 Likes

I loved your housemade chili sauce today. By itself, it’s got a nice kick of heat and then I get acid and some sweetness. It was so perfect when mixed with everything else.

5 Likes