Morihiro - Atwater Village

After looking at the menu, I really want to try that plain rice ball.

2 Likes

Spoiler: Mori-san’s onigiri was spectacular.

9 Likes

Morihiro cheapeats lunch hack:
(Almost definitely better than any onigiri specialty shop)

5 Likes

v 2.0

4 Likes

Not quite the same. Just as MSG is the King of Flavor, Mori-san is the King of Rice and Shari.

5 Likes

@Sgee: I know your post was tongue-in-cheek.

We make rice at home every other day or so, and I have been on the continuous mission to make the most delicious rice possible–just like I am always try to improve my coffee-making. But there is definitely a difference and value to high quality rice expertly cooked and seasoned by a pro like Mori-san. Same reason I go to Endorffeine regularly, even though I can brew delicious coffee at home.

2 Likes

i have been there in the experimenting of rice, from soaking the rice for at least 20 minutes to using filtered water, bottled water, etc.

2 Likes

(Relatively) Soft bottled water is super important in this hard water wasteland. (For rice, dashi, coffee, and more)
#thankfulforcrystalgeyser

3 Likes

@Starchtrade have you tried cooking in these? Tempted to try one of these rigs since the manufacturers refuse to offer the electronic version in the US

2 Likes

No, I would love to try it out. After building up my rice cooking pursuit it is a bit embarrassing to say, but we usually just use a Zojirushi like the one in your pic. Definitely not the best method to get the most delicious rice… haha

Other than that we sometimes cook in a Staub pot.

This (kamado) or a donabe may be a good Christmas gift for our family!

2 Likes

I keep seeing this advertised on my Instagram for an electronic pot.

3 Likes

I saw that Chef Brandon Go bought one of these a couple of months ago on his IG

3 Likes

Vermicular has been trying to break into the U.S. market. I know they have been sending out free products to influencers. Hopefully Chef Go got one for free!

1 Like

Sufficient food for one person? (genuine question: I know next to nothing about onigiri)

2 Likes

Good for a light lunch for one regular person. It would be an amuse bouche for @PorkyBelly or @J_L.

2 Likes

It will probably be one of the best the onigiri you will ever have considering Mori grows his own rice. If you are in South Bay try Otafuku’s onigiri it has ume, bonito flakes, shiso, and dried baby anchovies. Probably my favorite but I am sure if I tried Mori’s it will be up there as well

5 Likes

Holy jeezus that looks amazing! The rice is so glossy and I can’t find a single broken rice grain in your photo.

Thanks for the photo boss!

4 Likes

Fellow rice aficionado! Yup, Mori-san is the man.

The top-notch nori comes carefully cellophane-wrapped for maximum takeout umami as well.

4 Likes

That looks a-freaking-mazing. I was planning on one nicer sushi takeout in December and I think this decided where lol.

3 Likes

:face_with_monocle: oooo I am intrigued.

7 Likes