Most important message of new year so far

That’s what people mean by hipster really though lol

It literally just describes young white people.

That’s all hipsters are.

The hate is aweskme though. Absolutely. Every single young white American is a racist doudhebag, for sure.

It literally does not. I agree that “Brooklyn hipster” has a widely-understood meaning, but there are plenty of young white people - even in Brooklyn! - who are not hipsters.

Most people would be unable to distinguish between the hipsters and non hipsters though haha

You must not have any hipsters where you go because they certainly don’t look or act like non-hipsters. And I don’t dislike or criticize them.

Maybe if you don’t spend much time in places like Oakland, Brooklyn, or Culver City it’s different, but I find it bizarre when people claim that “hipster” doesn’t mean anything when I see conformists living out the stereotype every day. Spend a few minutes in an Oakland bicycle shop or craft beer bar and tell me there’s no such thing.

2 Likes

So anyone young that lives in a large city, and has money? Indeed, this is probably he first generation in history to enjoy good food and beer and have its own cultural norms. The first generation ever that tries to be cool in some way.

I am a hipster; I guarantee it even though outside of his forum I wouldn’t refer to myself that way. I’m wearing skin tight jeans and a cardigan right now at Gjusta. Everyone in here is a hipster. If you’ve eaten at Gjusta, you’re probably a hipster.

Btw, that article ends by saying it is describing mainstream culture.

Most of the young people I meet aren’t hipsters and most of the hipsters I know don’t have much money, or at least act like they don’t.

Given some of the meals you post about, I’m surprised. Do you work off all those calories by riding a fixie everywhere?

1 Like

Drive just a bit East from Oakland. My daughter has a very popular craft beer bar, in Dublin, where the large crowds are ANYTHING BUT hipsters.

1 Like

You think drinking craft beer and riding custom bikes are cheap hobbies? Haha How about rent in hip neighborhoods?

Most of these people have lots of money. Maybe the “act like they don’t” is part of it. But seems pretty easy to piece together that they must have money…no?

I don’t think you get how this works. If you set foot into a craft beer bar, you are a hipster. :wink:

Few if any hipsters in Dublin. It’s the distant suburbs, an hour from Oakland by BART, on the other side of the hills.

Some of the hipsters I know live with their parents. Others have lots of roommates in crappy rentals. Some have moved away to more affordable places, most of the rest talk about it.

1 Like

Or… possibly just someone who likes good beer!

1 Like

I drive when I’m in the Bay Area. It’s nowhere near an hour, but that’s not my point. Is taking BART part of the hipster thing?

That’s the beauty of it! Anyone who likes good beer is a hipster! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aw! Now you’re just pulling my mug… or pint glass.

Riding a bicycle and not owning a car are definitely part of the hipster thing in the SF area.

1 Like

Or you have a car, but you only use it for road trips.