Northeast Los Angeles eats

hard pass! thanks for taking one for the team.

Care to elaborate? Or are you just yucking my yum?

hah, no, weird glitch - that was a response to the Barra Santos experience.

2 Likes

We are lukewarm on Otoño after four visits, though we would go back. We just haven’t been impressed by anything. We prefer Flor y Solera in DTLA.

Absolutely ridiculous line at Villas lol. Like Space Mountain-ish long. It’s more $$$ for Villa’s though so that’s good. But wasn’t like this 2 months ago!

2 Likes

Aww that’s right they got LA Times’ed BA’ed.

bib gourmand

So, I went to that cevicheria on the corner of N Ave 54 and Monte Vista again. It is very good.

They are called Cevicheria Altata and the ladies that run it are great.
Here is the IG: https://instagram.com/cevicheriaaltata?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Great coctel, ceviche, aguachile, and fried shrimp tacos dorados similar to Marisco Jalisco.
Shrimp, octopus, and fish all tasted fresh and had very good texture. Great seasoning and salsas.

Yeah. I like this place. I’ll be going here instead of El Faro on Fri-Sat.

4 Likes

Lines have been crazy since that article and Michelin. Even on weekdays!

As an alternative for tacos (but no crazy quesatacos or hibiscus escabeche):
Carnitas El Gallo

1 Like

So I went once and I need to go back. Do they only serve like ceviche negro?

1 Like

Went to Otono last night and was happy–though honestly my take away might be that I don’t love Spanish food?

What’s funny is that the dishes you mentioned were by far my favorites. Like those were great. That black bread was the dish of the night. I liked the paella negra. Jamon and melon was meh because the melon was not good. (Weiser Farms, just not a great batch.) I thought a mushroom tostada was a tad heavy and one note. We also ordered conservatively because of my mother-in-law.

I liked it enough to go back though, which excites me.

ALSO, FUN NOTE. They are doing a New Mexican food pop-up for like the next month at lunch and brunch. I will for sure be getting myself to that.

4 Likes

Saw some anti-gentrification protestors outside Highly Likely this past weekend. I guess my question is how late is too late? There were signs saying that they didn’t need any more booze, which, shrugs.

Anyway, if they’re protesting outside Highly Likely they better be rioting French style outside Mendocino Farms.

3 Likes

It’s a free country, they can move to some place bad again.

Apparently the owner left a note at the home of someone on the alcohol review board instead of just emailing them. They took it as intimidation.

There’s a bunch on Instagram about it.

4 Likes

you can you post link here?

4 Likes

That makes a lot more sense. I was curious why they in particular were being targeted.

I found the trail of crumbs on their IG

It’s all in the comments to their recent posts

More on some of the NELA/HLP anti-gentrification IGs

1 Like

A few years back Sunset Beer petitioned for a license in HLP. They were gonna open a new location before their Echo Park lease expired. Loved Sunset Beer. Great local business building community. It was the best spot in LA to buy and enjoy craft beer—much of it from local breweries.

They got denied for a same reason that Highly Likely is being held up (“we don’t need more alcohol in our community”) and then they shut down after the owner in Echo Park increased rents.

No more Sunset Beer :beers: :cry:

2 Likes

See if this works

3 Likes