Northeast Los Angeles eats

Yeah, Flamin displaced TacoZone and was the thing for a minute (like 2015 or something). Haven’t been recently, years, not for any specific reason. I’m not an Al Pastor person though.

Related neighborhood note: it’s too bad Walter of El Ruso cares more about marketing and influencers than food.

3 Likes

In other NELA news (does Virgil Village count?), Ha’s Dac Biet popup at Voodoo Vin was pretty solid, especially the soft shell crab. Running for about a week I think…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwskO-xxZu6/

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to check out voodoo vin how is their regular dining menu?

1 Like

I quite liked the nduja bolognese and house mortadella, but the chef, Travis Bradley Hayden, left as of last week and I don’t think they’re continuing his menu.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwktTAcrGt0/?img_index=1

Edit: Hoping they keep up the food program. For me this incarnation was the closest LA got to places like Wildair, Four Horsemen, and Achilles Heel in NYC, wine bars with a limited but great menu.

2 Likes

Yeah the menu always looked super interesting just was never in the area to try it out

1 Like

oh saw that, don’t know much about them since they are on the opposite coast, but love the vietnamese inflection

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering about that place but parking around there and that intersection in general are such nightmares. Are you able to park in the strip mall lot?

2 Likes

yep, more than half of that strip mall is vacant now (only Pinkberry & the coffee shop left) so there’s always a spot to park right there.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate? Haven’t been in while…has it gone downhill?

Related neighborhood note: it’s too bad Walter of El Ruso cares more about marketing and influencers than food.>

1 Like

Don’t think it’s now what it was at the original location, and prob not even at the level of the Silverlake brick and mortar popup (no specials, aguja, for example). But my issue is less fall off than execution/variability at a new normal, which would still be good if consistently executed. The quality and attention to detail really varies, especially when he’s not there, though he always seems to be Sergioing when media stop by. At the price and for their reputation, too many qc issues, running out of salsas at like 1:00pm, lemons not limes even if it’s April (Holbox did this as well this past spring).

This is definitely a pot/kettle situation and humblebrag, but I think he knows this neighborhood isn’t as knowledgeable or exacting as others.

1 Like

We went to Pancho Lopez today. The overall experience is great. One of my favorite places in LA. Viva Mexico en America, the band sang. The food? Good but I’d give Tacos 1986 the nod, to put things in perspective.

2 Likes

Anybody try the ceviche/aguachile spot at Home Depot?

I grabbed a ceviche. Will report back. I love this city loll

6 Likes

I was about to respond that someone had, but then I remembered it was a diff Home Depot…

Eager to read your thoughts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow out the back of the car in a handicapped spot lol so random. Looks like it could be really good or potentially not. Please report back always love these diamond in the rough gems the most.

2 Likes

Okay, I totally missed that. Now I’m doubly interested in the review…

And here I am still trying to figure what is so chow-worthy in the parking lot of a South Bay Staples that is so damn good that it has a dedicated thread with over 1080 posts devoted to it!

2 Likes

I don’t think this is the same food but there was a Goldthread video about a spot at that same Home Depot a few years back:

Hah!

I was like, “Wait, where was that Home Depot again? I think actually maybe northern OC? And, oh, right, there’s the search function, and Home Depot can’t have been mentioned THAT many times here…”

Plated. Shrimp ceviche slightly low on shrimp. Honestly, digging it. Punchy and fruity, not super celery forward, which is what I don’t like about El Faro.

Wish they didn’t park in the handicapped spot—but I’ll probably be back!

8 Likes

It probably is out of your way but if you ever find yourself in the area and need breakfast that is one of the best breakfast burritos I ever had.

2 Likes