October 2020 Rundown

Picked up another Detroit-style pizza from Dough Daddy for dinner last Wednesday. Really good. Love the crispy bottom and edges. You can order from his Instagram, he releases time slots a few times a week now.

I stumbled upon this by accident but Pine and Crane started doing a Taiwanese breakfast popup called “Today Starts Here” in Chinatown this weekend. I saw someone (either Pearl River Deli or another restaurant on Instagram, can’t remember) post something in their IG stories about it and I was definitely down to try.

So my only frame of reference for Taiwanese breakfast is I’ve eaten at Huge Tree Pastry in Monterey Park a few times, and my Taiwanese coworkers have brought in breakfast from some places in Arcadia or Monrovia (sorry, don’t remember the restaurant names). The price is a little higher than Huge Tree, but that doesn’t bother me.

Menu. I really appreciate that everything is labeled if it is vegetarian or vegan friendly.

Food at home. I got a vegetarian fan tuan, plain steamed bun (I loved eating these plain buns as a kid when my mom would make them), dan bing, and radish cakes. They gave a bunch of garlic soy sauce containers, some chili oil and chili paste. The dan bing was good but I have never been able to eat these without making a big mess…with chopsticks or with a fork. My husband ended up just eating it with his hands. It did get a little steamed/soggy in the takeout box by the time I got home though. Radish cakes were not as crispy as I expected but that may have been due to to the takeout containers steaming them. They still tasted pretty good. It’s rare for me to find radish/turnip cakes that are vegetarian friendly since a lot of the time they have shrimp in them.

Fan tuan. It’s smaller than the ones I’ve ordered at Huge Tree Pastry. Also I forgot to take a picture of the inside. It has you tiao, preserved veggies and a half of a soy egg on each end (perfect for when I cut it in half to share with my husband). Really flavorful. I know some people might quibble about how small it is compared to other places in SGV, but this was the perfect portion size for me.

Brown sugar boba. This was tasty but a bad idea to drink this on my way home because I ended up getting full on the boba and wasn’t able to finish my meal :sweat_smile:

Dou hua with red bean paste, tang yuan and a side of ginger syrup. The tofu was smooth and silky, red bean and tang yuan added great texture and some sweetness.

Unfortunately they were sold out of the scallion pancake (and I ordered around 9:30 am!) which I would have liked to try.

The popup is at 935 Gin Ling Way in Chinatown. I don’t know what restaurant space that used to be but there’s plenty of space to pull over and pick up your food. Just look for the line of youngish Asian people sipping boba while they wait for their food :smile: They’re doing this popup next weekend too, from 8 am - 3 pm.

17 Likes