Ospi - Venice

I hope so. Really wanted to try it. PPE isn’t shorthand for pepperoni.

3 Likes

I see on the menu in the pizza section is says “saka-style” for the crust. Any idea what that means?

Melissa Saka is FOH and part-owner there. I’m guessing it’s her personal favorite. Please report back if you find out more specifics.

1 Like

This wasn’t explained to me but I think I overheard from another table that it had something to do with creamy burrata.

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t sure if the city of LA guidelines had changed or they were just opening and hadn’t gotten those logistics squared away.

The table spacing was definitely the thing I felt least comfortable with, we were already at the restaurant and there was no one sitting in the table behind us when we first sat. But after someone was seated behind us, before, in between, and after dinner we ended up putting our masks on while sitting because of the spacing.

Your description seems very fair to me. Not spacing the tables 6+ ft apart and not having PPE for the servers simply isn’t okay. We’re 6+ mos into the pandemic, and the way to keep customers and employees relatively safe is not a mystery.

I would be very upset at the situation, if I were one of their employees.

3 Likes

I cancelled a reservation for tomorrow until I hear safer reports.

2 Likes

Yes, it adds stracciatella, chopped calabrian chili, and basil to any pizza for an $8 surcharge.

1 Like

The good news is that all the servers this weekend had masks and shields. The bad news is I did not see any with gloves and the spacing is probably only about 4 feet between tables. Service was good and the Raschiatelli with spicy pork rib rage was excellent.

3 Likes

Went last night.
Really enjoyed it.
There was no time I felt uncomfortable - tables were far away from one another and the servers wore appropriate PPE.
Food was great
Full bar made some nice cocktails (boulevardier and corpse revived)
We had:
CAULIFLOWER - calabrian chili tahini, dates, pepita, fresh herbs
SOFT LETTUCES - grainy dijon vinaigrette, caciocavallo, rustic croutons
RASCHIATELLI - spicy pork sparerib ragu, pecorino fonduta, breadcrumbs
5 OUNCE CRAB CAKE - “gremolada,” sott’olio
Only took one (shitty) picutre of the Appy’s

11 Likes

Great to hear they made some adjustments!

Great to hear! We’re going for the first time tomorrow night. Finally made it to Jame Enoteca a few weeks ago and loved it. But Ospi is walking distance from home…

1 Like

Regular hand-washing is better then gloves. Waiters wearing gloves is actually a bad sign.

Face shields add no protection over masks. They’re pure theater except for medical personnel, dentists, and the like who might have unmasked patients or whoever cough, sneeze, or spit in their faces.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not - jury is not in on this at all. And please don’t quote the CDC to refute - it has taken them ages to embrace the obvious regarding airborne transmission.

I must say, however, that sometimes I have felt a little “exposed” when my face is below a that of a server (or a dental professional) who is wearing a mask and shield, knowing that the vector of any propellent will be deflected DOWN TOWARDS ME by the shield.

Distancing and good washing/gelling are probably the most important things we can do to protect self and others.

4 Likes

Distancing is as important as masks. Hand-washing prevents the spread of many diseases but to date contact tracing has not turned up a single Covid-19 infection from a surface. It’s always lung to lung.

The ineffectiveness of shields against aeorsols is basic physics. Aerosols are dispersed in the air, they’ll just go around.

had a really solid meal here, japanese eggplant and the spicy rigatoni were the highlights of the night. would come back just for that eggplant.

parking sitch is a bitch.

noise and air pollution sitch is a concern.

mosquito sitch is null.

japanese eggplant, spicy tomato oil, parmigiano fonduta, basil, breadcrumbs
super flavorful and kind of like a deconstructed eggplant parm. the eggplant had those crispy caramelized bits on the outside and creamy on the inside. where my eggplant fans at? @TheCookie, @NYCtoLA

spicy rigatoni alla vodka
very pleasant chew on the rigatoni and delicious creamy vodka sauce, not too spicy at all.

raschiatelli, spicy pork sparerib ragu, pecorino fonduta, breadcrumbs
not bad, pasta was a bit softer and the pork was more like a pulled pork instead of ground.

copione - sopressata, honey, chili
extremely thin crust, finish at the restaurant, doesn’t reheat very well.

cannoli, citrus marmalade
solid

11 Likes

:yum:

1 Like

I ate there two weeks ago on a boys night with 4 hungry dudes - we all loved it
Eggplant is killer.
Other highlights:
CAULIFLOWER - calabrian chili tahini, dates, pepita, fresh herbs
and
FETT’UNTA w smoked trout, pickeld red onion, chive, poppy

The other FETT’UNTA (stracciatella, basil puree, calabrian chili, pine nuts) was way too salty.

Gnudi was great.
So was Pork Collar.
Liked the pizza’s - you can shave with that fucking thin crust.

The lot on the same street next to James Beach is only 8 bucks.
We had no mosquitos either - even indoors

5 Likes

this guy will be on top chef this season!

agreed Bob!! 100%