Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Do you remember seeing chairs? That’s the deal with the tables outside of Howlin’ Ray’s - tables still there but no chairs. Another tip @tdonline is to go early.

I find that it’s easier to achieve those OOE goals if I remain standing throughout the entire meal.

;-D

3 Likes

There’s usually 2 tables right outside PRD that you can sit and eat at if they’re not taken,

I don’t remember seeing the picnic tables upstairs the last time I was there, just reserved tables for lao tao customers. they do have those orange high top tables overlooking the courtyard, but you’ll have to stand.

the los angeles state historic park is nearby if you want to picnic.

another option, if you don’t mind taking a short drive, is to drive to the row dtla. free parking and plenty of shaded and spaced out tables.

added bonus you might meet little @TheCookie and @TheArchie

6 Likes

IIRC it’s benchs upstairs. Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

Besides, in the spirit of Stephen Chow cosplay, one can easily BYOFC (bring your own folding chair) to PRD and get away with it. In addition to using it as one of the top weapons, one can also use it as a seat (admittedly one of the more unorthodox uses of a folding chair).

2 Likes

Picture stolen off the interweb

Great idea. So pleasant. And there’s my girl!

1 Like

that was the case in the before times, they were removed during covid, are they back now?

Hah I think of that when I see that long unused table at HR.

1 Like

I thought so but I could be mis remembering

Or you can always do this: Car Tray

(Pic is not of PRD, this is Cream Pan’s katsu curry)

6 Likes

PRD in your TRD would have been a good caption.

5 Likes

I actually did get large serving trays to keep in the car specifically for this purpose. :slight_smile: Great for liquid or greasy foods. Push the driver’s seat all the way back, and it’s lovely.

1 Like

Y’all so Los Angeles…I was planning to visit PRD sans car. I was planning one week without a car and the second week with one. But I just got yelled at by my mom so I booked a car for the first week too. I’m now down to one day without a car–still planning go to Chinatown by Gold Line. In worst case scenario, I do the Asian squat?

2 Likes

These are the seats in front of PRD . I was just there today. No benches upstairs.

9 Likes

Thank you for recon info.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I’ve been buying from prd & Amboy when I go then sit by their setup.

Need a 3 legged stool for that! My grandfather had one very similar to the attached pic from México that would be perfect for that little table. Easy to transport and go.

8 Likes

We’ve taken it to Los Angeles state historic park up the street and had a great picnic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMDRZ7-ANoI/?igshid=ag7o3462qbrz

4 Likes

Weekend special update:

Didn’t do the Pho Ga, but got the Poached Brown Chicken and Banh Khot.

Poached Brown Chicken

I was hoping for a little Hainan Chicken magic, but unfortunately this was hit and miss. The dark meat was tough and hard to chew–not sure if that was the intention because it’s a different kind of chicken–but it wasn’t like the dark meat from the Hainan Chicken. The white meat was better, but still not quite as juicy and tender as the aforementioned Hainan Chicken. Maybe I shouldn’t be comparing the two because they’re different dishes and the chicken was intended to be in the Pho Ga, but that’s what I was hoping for :man_shrugging:

IMG_6339

Banh Khot

Now this on the other hand… :fire: :fire: :fire: These mini savory pancakes topped with either shrimp or pork, wrapped up in butter lettuce with herbs, and dunked in nuoc mam were incredibly delicious. Each one is a single bite, so you’ve got 10 shots total–or you just snag multiple orders. Don’t miss this.

IMG_6338

13 Likes